04 Cherokee blower motor won't stop

Robyn Scott

Help!! 2004 jeep grand Cherokee Overland. I was having an issue with the blower. It would only come in occasionally, and only stay in for about 15 seconds. By occasionally...I mean 4 times since August. I was told it was either the resistor, or the blower motor. I replaced both. When I went to reconnect my battery, it started blowing!! Yay, right?! Wrong. The key was in the house and the knob was in the OFF position. How do I make it stop???

I have no experience with Grand Cherokees, but it sounds like some shorted / worn wires to me. I'd start by wiggling wires around and looking for anything that makes it stop blowing for a second.

Start with disconnecting the battery. Then pull the fuse.

TJ and XJs had issues with the wires melting on the back of the speed select switch and at the resistor.

Does anything else come on without the key? Try the radio. Perhaps you have an ignition issue not a blower motor issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

The battery was disconnected as I was working with wiring. The old resistor was in fact melted. I replaced the resistor AND the blower motor. Nothing else comes on when I reconnect the battery. Just the blower. The blower didn't come on at all in till I replaced it. Now it doesnt stop. Even with no key, and dual in the OFF position. I can't seem to find a fuse. I checked the book and there doesn't seem to be a fuse.

Driver side lower dash panel fuse F?? for ac and heat. Under the hood the fuse and relay for hvac.

1999 to 2004 Grand Cherokees with the automatic zone control system have an issue with the blower motor connector melting, resulting in intermittent or complete failure of the blower motor. The harness is located underneath the passenger's side dash and glove box compartment.

Pull out the connector and inspect it for damage.
If the connector is damaged, you can order a repair kit directly from Mopar for around $20 (part number: 05102406AA).

Last edited:
The ones under the hood are good. There is not one under the dash. I don't understand how it didn't blow at all, I replaced the resistor AND the blower motor, and now it won't stop. There is clearly something I'm missing, I just can't figure out what that "something" is

Last edited:
lets not quit our day jobs -

WJ's have 2 HVAC controllers MTC a manual control and a AZC contoler - AZC has led's for temp display L and R side.

Not *****ing about price so its likely MANUAL.
- 1st fuse #1 a 40amp in PDC, OR unplug blower motor.
Jeep blowers are somewhat different they are HOT and the path to ground is thru the (resistor) creating the various speeds..
Likely the blower motor BK/TN wire is grounded OR depending on speed the L M1 M2 H speed is grounded.

diagram should help

Attachments

• 04WJ MTC blower.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 134

I was able to figure it out. Wasn't any fuses. The first resistor I bought was bad. Put hours into a job that literally took a half hour. ����. Thanks guys!!!

I’ll take your word for it but typically when a resistor fails it fails open. No current should be flowing. And how you got current with ign off and a bad resistor?
More realistic diagram
IMG_0616.JPGIMG_0617.JPG

Last edited:
Back