Winter Tires/wheels question. minus sizing

Trypt

I'm sure people have asked this, in all forums on all cars, but I can't get a straight answer for my particular car, from the dealer, or from Jeep for that matter, so after all this research I decided to ask the experts here.

My 2020 Grand Cherokee has 265-50r20 tires/wheels. I could just get identical size for the winter package, but steel wheels are impossible to find in that size, and tires are ridiculously expensive, not to mention that you actually lose winter traction with low profile and very wide tires.

I just want to know what kind of wheel/tire combo I can go for without damaging the car, screwing up my warranty, or worrying about accuracy on the speedometer or distance counter.

I did find many calculators online, and I believe all I have to make sure is that the total tire diameter is the same right?

The size I think I want is 245-60R18, but really that's just what one particular company is offering as a minus size. After the math, I actually found that 245-65-18 would be identical in size to my current tires but apparently there are no such tires.

And the wheel? 8" or smaller?

Could I go with 225 tires on 17" wheels, would I want to?

Does Jeep frown upon minus sizing for winter tires for any reason? Will I have problems fitting them?

If you are not using the same rims and want to go cheep steel rims. 15 in rims are about cheap as they come. Here you want to match the bolt pattern and backspacing. Bolt pattern is fixed. Backspacing can be changed to avoid rubbing when turning or providing a wider look/stance.
From there match the tire height and pick what available widths that are left. Just be sure the tire spec for rim width and the rim width you have match. For example old 33x9.5 i had fit 6-8 in rim. Where 33x12.5 are best on 8-10 in rims. If you put a 9.5 on a 10 in rim you may pop a bead and end up riding on the sidewalls. Or a 13.5 on a 6 in rim the tire rides the center ot the pressure is so low you easily loose s bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Will 15" rims give enough clearance for the brakes?

Hi guys, thank you both for the replies.

I pretty much settled on either 265-60r18 or 245-70r17, those two are almost identical in total diameter (circumference), so they will have no effect on gearing or speed/odometer accuracy.

And I do believe my car can fit either 17 or 18 easily (16 and under is questionable but I don't want that small anyway). Naturally, the 17" tire/rim combo above would be way cheaper, not only for the 17" but since it's a 245 tire.

Now, how do I find out what kind of inner spacing I need, offset I think it's called. If I go with the 18" 265s, the rim will be 8" like my stock rim, but for the life of me I can't find specs for the stock rims on my car, I mean what kind of offset it has etc, whatever it is I need to know before I buy. If I get a 245mm tire on the 17 rims, should I get 7" rims? 7.5"?

Any more info would be appreciated.

Also, what you guys think about the above two, any opinion on which one?

And finally, sorry about the metric tire, I thought that was universal. While as a Canadian I'm used to feet and inches etc in daily life, I've never even seen tires come in anything except the format I used above.

EDIT:
Um, sorry about all the rambling, but I found this and I have a simple question:
https://www.amazon.com/RTX-Steel-Af...eywords=5x127+17"+steel&qid=1572903700&sr=8-3

All the specs seem to fit, the lugs, size of thread, the offset as well, and it says it fits a 2018 Grand Cherokee, but when I put 2020 Altitude, it says it won't fit.

I'm just wondering, as far as all V6s go, the 17", 18" and 20" variants, do they all fit any of the wheels that come stock? Are they interchangeable? Laredo base is the 17" wheel, then 18" for the Trailhawk, and 20" for my Altitude, but I want to put 17" on for winter, and am wondering if I can just look for the exact fit for the base Laredo, and can assume it will fit my Altitude once I take the 20s off.

It's impossible to find actual info on this, Jeep won't help, and companies want me to have the 20" for winter also, whereas those that offer minus sizing are not offering what I want, and do not explain how they minus size and match to my Jeep.

Last edited:

Mark good catch on the wheel fitting over brakes..

Amazon looks for direct matching size only.

Stock 20x10 on 5on5 (5-127)bolt pattern with 7.40" back spacing or 48mm offset and 71.5mm center bore

18x8 is the smallest likely due to the brake system clearing the inside of the wheel.

The 265/60r18 matches circumference and width.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk.

Last edited:
Costco seems to know that they are interchangeable, I type my model, and this came in:

https://www.c-wheels.ca/en/fitments...e=Jeep&model=Grand+Cherokee&submodel=Altitude

I found steel wheels for the Laredo, 17x7 with the proper offset and all that. Are you saying that the Laredo base has different brakes to my Altitude? I don't think so as all V6s should have the same brakes really.

2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 come with 245-70r17, 265-60r18 and 265-50r20 depending on trim, but I believe you can fit any of those wheels/tires on any of the trims, they are all identical diameter, by design I think, so I hope that's the case, then I can get 17s for the winter. If I have to I'll get the 18s with the 265s even tho they are too fat for my liking, and definitely I'm not even considering 20" winter rims/tires.

I'll figure that out I guess, but I here is one more question:

TPMS, how exactly does that work for winter package? Is it a simple thing to make sure both sets of tires have it? I want that for the winter too, I think it's not that expensive, the sensor I mean, but is it automatically connected to the Jeep or does something need to happen?

I used tire rack and they only offered a 18,20 or plus wheels.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

If I understand correctly the TPMS relies on the valve stem to send the correct info. If your winter wheels have the fegular old valve stems they won't send the info and the tire light will be on. I don't know if it would be as simple as just having any TMPS valve stem installed or not [but should be]

Yeah, the TPMS will require some more research, but I'd like to have it. I hear that Jeep uses self-programming sensors now so it's just a matter of installing the right ones in there (any info on that?)

Let me rephrase the question, is there any difference between the 2020 JGC or the 18/19 models? I ask this because 17" steel wheels show up, as well as any 17" 245/70r17 tires if I put 2018 or 2019, but as soon as I put 2020 in there, it says "won't fit your car", even tho I'm pretty sure I don't have the HD brakes (not vented and they look pretty small to be honest).

I will probably just get the 18", if I can find them, but I would actually prefer 17" and 245s for the winter, but I don't get why they wouldn't fit on the 2020 but will fit on the 2018 or 2019.

That being said, there is no source online for 18x8 steel wheels at all that will fit the JGC, so the only way to go 18" is to either go to a 18x7" wheel which is too small for 265 tire (I think), or go with an alloy winter wheel, which is 3x the price.

Post a pic of your front wheel with the brake caliper visible. Maybe a ruler in the pic to gage dimensions

Again the system telling you on amazon it will not fit may not be updated or doesn’t have the correct inputs

Some installers have the TPMS valves and sensors available. Tire discounters or discount tires, Sams, grismer, ntb.... just specify when you have your tires mounted.

Sizing down from 20" makes sense for winter-only tires especially for expense. Generally if the lower-end models of your JGC run say 17" then its likely they should work on your vehicle with the 245-70R17. Running without TPMS sensors will also lower expenses for the winter-only tires then you just have to ignore the TPMS warning light over the winter.

Post a pic of your front wheel with the brake caliper visible. Maybe a ruler in the pic to gage dimensions

Again the system telling you on amazon it will not fit may not be updated or doesn’t have the correct inputs

So doing a build on the mfg website it shows Brembo brakes. They are 4 valve brakes. Somewhat larger. Again a pic of what you have will verify
IMG_1090.JPG

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

So I ended up getting the Replica 18x8 wheels and have decided on the Hankook tires, 265-60r18. I do have a week to change my mind, the Blizzaks are $110 more for the set and the Michelins $130 more. I'm already paying over $2000 for the wheel/tire/tpms/install set, so it's not much but I was told the Hankook may actually be quieter and last longer cuz they are not quite as grippy, if that is true I'll stick to them, I'm not worried about ice and snow on a daily basis, just on occasion. Any opinion on this? I can also go cheaper with Firestone Winterforce or some Chinese brand (Cooper) and General Arctic.

I'll post pics of the before/after of the 20" to 18" minus sizing!

Hey guys, so the wheels/tires for the winter are on, sorry about the low quality pic, I don't know what happened there, usually my phone does better and I'm so trusting that I just assumed it was good, but no. I love the look, it's funny but with the 18s it actually looks like a beast, like a real Jeep, as opposed to the pozer with the 20s (which I still like, but I really do prefer the winter package for overall look).

I went with 18 Replika wheels and 265-60r18 Hankook I Pike tires.

I did, however, run into a problem I hope you guys help me with before I go back. I of course wanted TPMS and the shop assured me Fiat-Chrysler vehicles are the best when it comes to those as they are self learning and nothing needs be done. He couldn't find a 2020, but ordered 2019 tpms sensors.

So, I left the shop and the TPMS system seemed fine but of course it was still reading the original wheels/tires. About 2 miles away from the shop, the light came on, chiming, and the sensors all say 0. I drove to storage, removed the original wheels/tires, as I thought for sure they are interfering, and sure enough, the light no longer comes on, which suggests to me the sensors are being read, but they all still say 0psi, and it says Tire Pressure Monitor System not available (0s reading all the time). I drove for quite a while, many km, nothing.

So, before I go back, I am just wondering if anyone here knows the part number for the 2020 JGC sensors, maybe they are different from the 2019 ones (which would be really annoying of Jeep to do). I can't find a source that actually sells 2020 sensors, everywhere I go and check, it says part not available for your vehicle. But there must be a parts list for my car so that I can compare it to the 2019 sensors and see if that is indeed the problem.

I'm looking forward to your knowledge, and here is the pic:

jeep winter wheels tires.jpg

Check your owners manual. Some vehicles have a reset button. The 2020 is too new to find replacement tpms part #. The owners manual may state you need to drive for some time for them to reset. And it may need to be above 15-20 mph. I would also make sure the tires are inflated to the pressure indicated on the sticker in the drivers door jamb.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Yeah, I've done all those things. I actually went to Jeep dealership today, about the running boards, and the guy there was kind enough to look into it. He checked it all out, took the readings and the sensors are definitely there and working, but when he tried to clone them, they won't be cloned, it's a mystery even to Jeep!!! Ridiculous. I have driven for over 100 miles already, at least 3 hours, since the install and nothing, it says 0psi and not available, but no light, meaning the sensors are being read as there but not giving the pressure information.

Jeep will look into it again when I bring the car in for the running boards install, but then if they can't do it I guess I'll have to buy direct from them, take them back to the shop and replace them, taking the hit (I will get a refund of the ones the shop installed, and they will install for free, but it's still a pain in the butt and it'll cost me extra cuz dealer sensors are far more expensive).

Try this to reset TPMS system

1.) Switch the ignition to the ON position without starting the vehicle.
2.) Press gas all the way to the floor 3x’s within 10 secs.
3.) Switch OFF ignition. After 10 secs start the engine.

Back