Jeep won't start help please

Jbottoms789

I bought 2000 jeep grand cherokee that had the motor swap for one with less miles idk what year the motor is tho but I've replaced the pcm for one from flagship that had the immobilizer removes from it so that wasn't an issue and I replaced almost all fuses and relays and the starter and battery and the only thing I get when I try to start it is a clicking under the dash please its my only vehicle

Sounds like there's alot going on here. Was it running fine and then quit, or has it never run since the PCM swap?
Is it throwing any codes?

No its the accessory relay for my cigarette lighter but I replaced the neutral safety plug looks like it might have been smashed but my gauges don't even work like they will come on but won't show what my battery is at or my fuel and I've replaced everything I could possibly think of and no I don't hear the fuel pump come on art all

You insert the key, and all gauges lightup (like they should?). When you move the key to start position, you hear a click from the cigarette lighter. Is that correct?

Could this be a bad starter, or bad ignition switch? You could try jumping either one of them and seeing if that works. That's not something I've done before, but I've heard others mention it.

First if you have a DMM verify the battery voltage is 12.6V with ign off. Keep DMM across the battery then turn the key on. Does it drop. If not then check the voltage while trying to start. Voltage will dip but should not dip below 10v. What are all the readings?
If it doesn’t dip you may have wire issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

All lights come and no it doesn't dip when I try to start and yeah I think it may be wiring issues because I've replaced everything that has anything yo do with starting the vehicle

All lights come and the sound is coming ftom my cigarette lighter relay under the dash and no it doesn't dip when I try to start and yeah I think it may be wiring issues because I've replaced everything that has anything yo do with starting the vehicle I think when the guy I bought from swapped the motors he missed something when wiring everything back up

Check the voltages at the ign. As Terry pointed out you could jump the power to the starter using jumper cables. Just to be sure the starter can turn the engine.
Check your neutral safety switch. Id also ohm out your power and ground cables. These things corrode and could leave you stranded. Im considering doing the big 3 upgrade over Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

In addition to the above suggestions make sure you have good solid grounds: i.e.: engine to chassis etc. Seen too many cases of badly corroded ground wires on older vehicles.

Back