Transfer Case: A Question of Balance

cbewing

My 1979 Jeep Cherokee needed a U-joint replaced on the front driveshaft (propeller shaft). I removed the shaft and ordered a new one after getting its specs.

I went on some forums to determine other people's experiences regarding driving without the front driveshaft. Everyone wrote that they did it without any problems.

I drove the Cherokee, no faster than 25mph, for about 2-1/2 miles. Whenever accelerating, it made squeaking and grinding noises. They appeared to come from the rear differential.

Then the Cherokee stopped. It wouldn't move anymore in any gear plus it no longer made any noises. So I had it towed to my driveway where it sat until I received and installed the new driveshaft.

While waiting, I removed the rear differential cover and examined everything. All looked good, so I replaced the cover and filled the differential with fluid.

I received the driveshaft and installed it. To my surprise, the Cherokee ran fine, without noises or any issues, as if nothing had ever happened.

I conclude that the transfer case requires the balance of the propulsion of driving both driveshafts. Without it, a single driveshaft isn't able to move the 6,000 vehicle.

It would have been interesting to see if the Cherokee would have gotten better gas mileage than its average 9 or 10 miles per gallon.

Attachments

• Old Front Driveshaft.jpg
    Old Front Driveshaft.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 29
  • New Front Driveshaft.jpg
    New Front Driveshaft.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Rear Differential Ring Gear.jpg
    Rear Differential Ring Gear.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Rear Differential Spider Gears 1.jpg
    Rear Differential Spider Gears 1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 28

I can't speak to the driveshafts, but I would love to see more photos of your Jeep.

Can’t say what was going on. Typically when in 2H the transfer case is not driving the front shaft. If you have manual locking hubs the front shaft spins when moving snd locked and doesn’t when moving and unlocked or open.

The only thing i could think of is the rear shaft was near out then did pull out when the front was removed....

What trans and transfer case do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

It is all-time four-wheel drive -- the hubs cannot be unlocked. (It gets between 9mpg and 10mpg.)

Can you elaborate about the possibility of the rear shaft pulling out?

The transmission is a TH400 Quadra-Trac and the transfer case is a Borg-Warner 13-05-107-903.

Can’t say what was going on. Typically when in 2H the transfer case is not driving the front shaft. If you have manual locking hubs the front shaft spins when moving snd locked and doesn’t when moving and unlocked or open.

The only thing i could think of is the rear shaft was near out then did pull out when the front was removed....

What trans and transfer case do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I don't have many quality ones, but here you go ...

Attachments

• Right.JPG
    Right.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Fender.jpg
    Fender.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 24
That is if the vehicle were lifted. Lifting increases the distance from the trans to rear. With this there can be a chance of the shaft slipping out.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Thanks for the message. The Jeep isn't lifted. It is completely stock. I know because I was with my dad when he bought it and I've taken care of it since then.

That is if the vehicle were lifted. Lifting increases the distance from the trans to rear. With this there can be a chance of the shaft slipping out.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back