ignition switch won't turn

ares

hi everyone. just want to see if anyone has any ideas what else this could be. my brother has a late 90's Cherokee Laredo 4.0. the ignition key will not turn. the steering wheel was not locked at first but did eventually lock from steering back and forth while trying to turn the key. he does have all his keys on the same ring so i'm thinking the weight may have broken the tumbler. just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen and had it turn out to be something other then the ignition switch that was broken. thanks for any suggestions.[addsig]

so wait... does the key even go in? or go in and not turn?[addsig]

well, it's fixed now. the key did go in, but it would not turn. turns out it was the ignition switch and he got a new one installed for $225. just a little fyi in case anyone else runs into this. thanks for the reply.[addsig]

Hello to everyone :)

Carriss (or anyone with experience): Don't leave us hanging like that Carriss! :p I also went out and bought a new ignition lock cylinder (for $20). I than armed my brain with a few semi-generic web pages on replacing the part myself... some of which can be found here:

Ignition FAQ
Ignition Switch Repair <-----(Tripod pop-up warning)
Replacing Ignition Switch
Replacing the 914
Steering Wheel Removal

Is there any special information one should know about when replacing the ignition lock in Jeeps? For example, "that spring is a real bitch to keep in place without tool BLAH-BLAH" (or things to that effect). A walkthrough with pictures would be fantastic... but I'd be more than happy with a simple heads up. ;-)

BTW - I appologize for chiming in on this thread, but the original poster seemed finished. Plus, I figure the requested info will help anyone else who's holding a new ignition lock cylinder and questioning their ability to install it. :-D

Thanks.[addsig]

DragonAss,,
Welcome Good Jeeper,!!!!
Love the format of your post,
I don't have your answer at the
moment, but I will help find you one.

He even posted links!!!!

Don't be a stranger, we need
folks just like you.

Check back, I'll shake my bookmarks,
bloodyknuckles and friends, and get back
with more help.[addsig]

Holy Schmolie!!! Everybody has the right to make a decent living...but geeze, 225 clams for a SWITCH..armed with the proper tools and the skill and motivation to use them...45 minute job unless there are a lot more dash pieces below the steering column than on my mid 80's Chief with A/C. Unless he had to repair bad connections in the ignition switch harness plugs, or spent a lot of time diagnosing the problem, and the diagnosis for this problem is not difficult.

One question haunts me about the failed switch though...most switches that fail in this manner have been subjected overheating due to poor connections on the harness terminals...I hope if any terminals were overheated, they were replaced or the new switch may fail early.

If you replace a switch, use anti-oxidant compound on the terminals to prevent corrosion.[addsig]

Back