Trying to replace this screw / fastener clip

bradleyheathhays

96 XJ. One of my top 2 e-fan support screws is missing from where it mounts on that top cross support. There's a small black C shaped piece of metal that's stamped to accept the screw. C piece goes onto the edge of the cross support and then the screw goes through the hole.

Anyone know how I can identify this part number where I can order it, of what this piece is called so I can just look for a universal one? I know I could just shove a screw through it but I'd rather get the right piece.

Last edited:

Is there only one? If there is a left and a right consider taking that one to the hardware store and matching it.

Or if you could take a gage (borrow one) and fit it in you could get the bolt diameter. Take note of the thread and buy one of each in that size.
I replace a number of bolts that either look bad or snap with ones from local hardware store. Unless they are torque specific like head, exhaust or intake ... specific.

IMG_1302.JPG

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Found out these things are called clip nuts. Couple different kinds but mine is the turret kind where there are a number of threads that secure the screw. Found lots of them by Doorman at Oreilleys.

Only question now is...the other clip anchors with their screws still in place take a 8mm socket to remove. Does this mean these are M8 screws?

Back