Help with part time 4WD

michaelc291

I very seldom move the 4WD selector lever. Today I did, because I needed it in neutral whilst working on the rear brakes.
It did not move easily but now the light on the dash is lit up and I seem to be stuck in part time 4WD even with the lever back in 2WD.
I have never really understood what part time was all about as 99% of the time I am on tarmac. I have never had a manual.
Can someone please suggest how I can get it out of 4WD and put the light out?
Has anyone got the bit in the manual that tells you how to work the thing?

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please suggest how I can get it out of 4WD and put the light out

Generally shifting back into 2WD and move the jeep in a straight line direction will allow the transfer case to disengage.

Part-time 4WD is meant to be used on loose surfaces like gravel, mud, snow etc. Unlike AWD it is not designed for dry pavement. In part-time 4WD power is distributed equally between both axles 50:50

Probably a good idea to take it on a dirt road to practice engaging and disengaging the part-time 4WD system. Learn how its used before you need it or need to turn it off. Open up the owners manual and read about the system as engaging 4LOW will be another experience as its a bit more involved to engage and disengage.

^agree^
Also, Get up underneath and spray some penetrating oil on the linkage joints. They corrode from water and salt treatments... and its not an area easily inspected. Lack of use can allow the corrosion to almost weld the parts together.
If it remains an issue there is an aftermarket cable linkage. This is used when you use a body lift.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Thanks for the advice. I give all the suggestions a try over the weekend.

I would still like to get hold of the section of the manual that tells you all about it.

If you don't have the manual you could download a PDFs version. Just google your year make model and owners manual .pdf

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Back