Trouble with 3" lift axle aligment

robahas

Hi Everyone - This is my first post, and my first project on my 95 XJ. I'm excited to customize it, but I'm a bit of a newbie at mechanics. I got a 3" lift kit (rough country) and everything made sense except for this one bolt hole that is totally off and I can't figure out what went wrong. This is some sort of stabilizer arm that attaches on the passenger side of the axle. I had the coil already in, but then I saw this issue and took it out, unbolting everything so that it was back to square one, but still the alignment is way off. I also tried applying pressure with a pulley to bring the into place, but no joy.

I can imagine Chris Farley saying, "What did you DO?!". (reference: Tommy Boy)

What DID I do?

Here are a couple pics:
https://i.imgur.com/7D95CLR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ko6dkYL.jpeg

cacheJeepzImage.php

cacheJeepzImage.php

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

You're looking at the trackbar, also called a panhard bar. It's designed to keep the axle under your Jeep. It's the red bar in this picture

200pxPanhard_rod-1.jpg

So, it's a fixed length, and isn't going to stretch. Imagine if you raised the body of the jeep up 3 inches. That bar is going to want to pull the axle towards the driver side, so that the axle will not be centered under the Jeep any more.

The simple answer is to buy a new longer, or adjustable trackbar. Another option that may work, is to drill a new hole to bold the trackbar up with. I'd suggest a new trackbar myself.

Also, from that second photo, you may want to make sure your tie rod end is nice and tight - it looks a bit knarly in the picture.

Trouble with 3" lift axle aligment

Ive seen people redrill the hole only to have it rip through. I suggest an aftermarket adjustable track bar.

Three things: do not use a drop pitman arm. Keep the stock one.
And the track bar needs to be parallel to the drag link or bump steer will result.

Use the largest bolt in the axel side of the track bar. To keep DW from occurring.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
The simple answer is to buy a new longer, or adjustable trackbar. Another option that may work, is to drill a new hole to bold the trackbar up with. I'd suggest a new trackbar myself.

Thanks. The thought had crossed my mind. I guess I'm mystified as to why the instructions said nothing about this. Also various videos online. Adjustable trackbar makes a lot of sense!

You can make it work. On mine, I used a come-along (like a manual winch) to pull the axle to the side. You may be able to do it with ratchet straps. Once you get it hooked up, you'll notice that the tires stick out on the driver side more than the passenger. The springs would not be perfectly vertical either.

Definitely better with the proper length track bar.

^^Agree^^
It is best to do this with the vehicle weight on the tires.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back