88 cherokee 4.0 help

i aquired an 88 cherokee 4.0 was running the guy i got it from was about out of fuel went to the station paid for his gas got distracted and forgot to pump it inevidably he ran out hes not a mechanic so after he pulls relays and lost them and tried a few other idiots suggestions he finally came got me im a 35 year mechanic and have done my share of dumb shit so i slide under the back and had him turn the switch on to check the fuel pump then i hit the bone dry tank he put fuel in it and changed the filter it hasant run since the firing order is right its firing and seem to have decent fuel pressure its turning over good but backfireing through the exhaust but wont start ran across this same issue years ago once dont remember what i did to fix it

So what fuel pressure did you read?
If it was running fine and all you did was run it out of gas there shouldn’t be any issues.
The only thing you did was change the fuel filter?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

i havent done anything other than replace the relays the other guy lost he was blindly doing what other people were telling him thats how i ended up with it fuel pressure is right at 30 psi while turning it over and just to make sure it wasnt the injectors and cut fuel out of the equation i sprayed fuel through the air intake hose not sure what all has been tampered with i know the cat was recently stolen but i have run them without before but they still ran im going to pull the plugs today and check timing may pull the crank sensor and inspect it could it possibly be a distributor issue causing a random or crossfiring problemi do have fire coming in from coil and out to plugs that is good and hot just not sure if its when it needs to be the backfiring is kind of gurgling like its firing while the exhaust valve is open so thats in todays check list

30 at prime is good. Maybe stuck injector besides off timing. Yes crank sensor if failing will cause issues. Cam sensor in distributor will also cause issues. Only use OEM-sensors. These jeep engines are finicky

Check your vac lines and ccv lines. Blocked ccv lines will cause issues if the crank case doesnt breath.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back