2008 Jeep Liberty

Carnau

I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty and it has been running fine until Monday last week.

What is happening is when I start the vehicle it will not take the fuel, or idle and then shuts off. After about 20 minutes of cranking and shutting off finally it will run half decent so I can drive it. About 10 minutes after driving it is fine until I shut if off again.

I replaced the fuel pump thinking it was the problem because I could cycle the key two or three times priming the system and sometimes it would run. So I thought it was the pump. Unfortunately that did nothing.

It seems to be running rich because it is blowing black crap out the tail pipe and smells really rich and even smokes sometimes when first starting.

I thought maybe the MAP sensor, so I unplugged it to put it into default to see if that would help. Nope. The scan tool data shows the IAT reading correctly. I was thinking maybe it thought it was cold outside and was choking the engine.

Anyone got any ideas? This is going to sound terrible. I have been a GM tech for the last 22 years. I have been the lead tech at our dealership for the last 10. I have never had something beat me like this.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Any codes?
Crank sensor?
Read the O2s and trims
Check you haven’t lost a rocker arm if its ticking when running.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back