Cherokee 35s death wobble

kotadirtbike

I just bought a Cherokee a few weeks ago it has no front sway bar and a 5 inch rough country suspension lift with 32 inch tires. I had no issues and it drove good. I bought some used 35 inch tires and put them on and went for a drive. I can’t go over 35 without horrible death wobble. I don’t know what the issue could be as it drove perfectly fine with no wobble when it had 32s. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

those tires are a lot heavier. maybe the shocks need upgrading with those tires?

The much bigger tires might be too much for the steering stabilizer.

Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you watch all the steering linkage points for excessive movement.

The much bigger tires might be too much for the steering stabilizer.

Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you watch all the steering linkage points for excessive movement.

Steering stabilizers do nothing for death wobble. You should be able to run without one. What they do is minimize the jolt you feel in the wheel when you hit something.

To the OP Death Wobble starts at 65 mph. What it sounds like is you have unbalanced tires or varying tire pressure/thread or the alignment is out. Broken steel belt? Flat spot from sitting.
Did you align it after the 35s? Road balance the tires? Are the rims different too? Possibly bent?

To the OP with the engine off have someone turn the wheel back and forth. Start with looking at the bushing on the axel end of the track bar. There should be near zero movement. Then the frame side. This is what allows DW.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Back