front shocks

Ray1942

anybody out there able to tell me which named and part number shocks will fit {replace} my original shocks IN the coil spring on front of my 1998 cherokee XJ...??? 4 wheel drive

The shock is IN the spring??? Ill need a pic

Here is an XJ front shock. It is likely a lifted xj
Image1629847920.160858.jpg

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
JPNinPA. Thank you for the quick reply.. I didn't know what it was, as I've never done a lift on a jeep..! I'm going to pull the entire coil and absorber out and see if I can trace down the numbers, and locate the manufacture and either try and get a new shock if possible or the entire assembly. Mine does not have the other shock, only the one in the coil..!! is that a problem. ??? First I have get a spring compressor to collapse it...though.!!

Well from the manufacturer there is what i show. Coil with shock. Inside the coil is a bumpstop. The bumpstop stops the axel from moving further up so the shock does not bottom out and break.

Another stock type is a strut. That looks like a shock inside a spring but i dont think that was offered on 98 XJ.
Generic strut NOT offered on 98 xj
Image1630110522.323701.jpg

The third fully aftermarket is coil over springs. This is for extreme articulations.
Image1630110305.991031.jpg

Post a pic of what you have and possibly from shape and color the mfg can be determined.

Last edited:

boy this is getting rather confusing :lol: soon as I can get it off I will post picture..!!

Why not post a pic like the first one I posted so we could get an idea.

Sorry to make it confusing. The “shock in the spring on a XJ “ comment threw me. So I’m just showing what is out there.

i wonder if its one of those shocks with a small coil spring around it, like a helper spring?

a Monroe sens-a-trac is the type i was thinking of

Back