04 Grand Cherokee 4.0 wont start

john123

So have looked and have not seen this exact issue elsewhere so here goes-
Engine will not turn over- makes 1 click and nothing- guages go bonkers even after removing key from ignition switch.
Done so far:
new starter (old one was original w 180k on it)
new battery
new terminal connectors
cleaned terminals
clean wire going into terminals
checked fuses and relays

Have not checked Neutral safety switch but did shift the transmission to n (and r and d)- no change

so I am in a bit of a quandary over this- any advice

So with a new battery and cabling. This still occurs?
The battery cables replaced went from ground to the engine and chassis? And from power to fuse box and starter maybe another line to the alternator?

With key on, turn on the dome or dash lights. Note if they dim and if battery voltage goes below 11V when you start or try to start the vehicle.
Have you tried turning the engine with a breaker bar? Be sure the battery is disconnected when you do this. Turn clockwise referenced while facing the engine from in front.
Two thoughts.
1.something is shorted
2. Engine seized. Assuming the new starter is good and installed properly. No offense intended.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I did spin the motor with breaker bar- (I used to race hydros and it was reminiscent of a hydro lock) I checked voltage of the battery just to be sure- it was 12.4 so thinking it maybe a faulty battery (I guess it happens) I have the battery on a charger now and will see what it shapes up to be later tonight...

Auto Zone, Advanced auto and oreillys load test batteries for free.
The quick snd dirty test is monitoring voltage while engaging the starter. Battery should not go below 9.6-10V while starting,

Don’t rule out the relay or the ign wire on the starter. Mine collected dirt and corroded to sn open circuit.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

so on the relay- I switched the starter one with one adjacent to it (both had the same value/part number on their top)- on the ign wire- would I see current in it as the ign switch engaged? Thank you for your insights on this- I am much more comfortable with my vintage race boats and bikes lol

so an update- took battery back in, load tested, it is good. Checked the small wire that initializes the stater and it shows no shortsages
I did notice today that, when you turn the key, all power is lost to the dash, horn, etc. When you turn the key off- the gauges bounce back and forth to a rhythm- I have never used the fob since I dont lock this vehicle up (it is used as a farm truck hauling feed). Makes me wonder if it is somehow related to the anti theft system and if so, how would I go about disabling it?

Last edited:

our Cherokee started (barely) with that same 12.4v reading yesterday. i was really surprised about it so yours might not start, being a grand Cherokee. you got lots more other electronics drawing on the battery. hopefully charging helps

you posted at the same time as me, ha ha ha

i think there is something about the anti theft systems on the grand Cherokee causing problems though. i will google

just an update- I sat in the jeep= pulled the battery out of my keyfob and lo and behold it cranked right up- metered the fob battery which is supposed to be 3v and only showed .6v - since I do not use the auto lock when it reaches a certain speed and usually dont even lock it when I run to the hardware store etc, I think I will let sleeping dogs lie....

Last edited:
Back