1996 Jeep Cherokee Max Flex Stock

Lpardee96

Hello, Im new to this forum and would like some advice on getting the maximum flex out of a XJ while maintaining stock or very close to stock ride height. The way I'm building my Cherokee is a very practical overall vehicle for onroad and off-road application, which means I will be running stock 235/75/R15 tires and factory axle gear ratios. The plan is to overland this XJ eventually, and would like to be very capable on trails, not making a rock crawler here. What I think im gonna do is obviously start with the sway bars, remove the rear and add a disconnect for the front. I was thinking about getting HD leaf springs for the rear for a 1" lift and spacers for the front? I don't know if the stiffer leafs would hinder flex or not but my current ones are sagging so they need replaced ideally. One thing I did think about is a long arm kit, is this unnecessary for a stock spring? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for reading, Lucas.

There are quick releases for rear sway bars. I wouldn’t drive around without the rear sway bar as a daily driver.

HD leafs will limit articulation.

You would benefit from long arms if you lift more than 3 inches.

Check that articulation is limited by the springs and not brake lines or shocks.
By stock do you mean a low center of gravity build?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Alright, I'll get some rest disconnects then. Is there any better options to the factory leaf springs? If not I'll just buy brand new ones.
That's what I figured with it being stock ride height. Would like a low center of gravity but mainly I'm keeping it stock for gas mileage and I really like the idea of a stock Cherokee doing fantastic off-road. I'm not opposed to bigger tires and a lift if thats what I have to do to get decent articulation, but I personally just love the look of a stock Cherokee.

Last edited:
Look at ARB. Or Old Man Emu. OME.
They do lifts and have good ride characteristics.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

A little late to the party, but you are right about the sway bars. As far as the springs/shocks well I hava an opinion. My 96 came with the Upcountry Suspension, but after 250k was replaced by the previous owner with the Amazon equivalent of an Upcountry that resulted in a 1 1/2 inch lift. I'm okay with it, but I've had the OME suspension on a CJ7 and a Land Rover and I plan on putting it on my XJ soon. The reason being it is an outstanding suspension with a small lift of 1 1/2 to 2 inches that rides beautifully on and off road. You can run your 235/75 15's or go slightly larger. I run 225/75 16 (29.3") but you can go slightly taller with your 3.55 gears and be happy. I switched to 16 inch Icon wheels off of 2000 Cherokee so I might go to 235/75 16 or a 245/75 16. I personally don't want to regear so I think a 30.5" is about the limit of tire diameter I'd be happy with. Hope this helps.

Back