Power Door Lock Problem

timber_doodle

I just joined this forum today, and I searched for a similar problem before posting. Mine seems to be different than the other power lock problems involving relays, etc.

Our 95 Cherokee passenger side power door lock is stuck in lock. I can hear the relay trying to work and I can see the manual door lock button try to move into the unlock position when I work either the romote or the unlock switch, but it won't fully go into position and unlock the door. I can't get it there by force, or by using the key in the lock either. Since the door is locked shut, I can't get it open to remove the door panel to fix the problem.

Does anyone have any advise on how to get the door open so I can try to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Bill

edited by: timber_doodle, Jun 14, 2003 - 09:10 AM[addsig]

Mind bender. Is it acting like it´s jammed and the rods won´t go far enough, or is it acting like it´s slipping or loose and the rods arn´t working the actuator for unlocking the door latch?
If it´s jammed and the rods won´t move far enough, it might be something has fallen in the door latch and jammed the works. A sharp blow to the inside of the door with a rubber mallet and a little wiggle on the door lock knob, might dislodge, whatever is jamming the latch mech.
If the rods are moving all the way and the door latch isn´t unlocking, it´s probably the actuator has fallen off (or both rods have come loose, unlikely). I´d be tempted to screw out the door lock catch (locking stud or striker or whatever it´s called) on the drivers side, and see if there isn´t enough room to unscrew it, into the doorlatch (reciever). If there is clearance enough I´d make an offset wrench (thin) tape the door and body edge and try and unscrew the door striker on the passengers side. Some door catches had a Torx screw in the end (which makes this idea a no go, before you start), some door lock strikers have a nut at the base.
With the widow down, the outer window moulding (rubber wiper) can be removed, which just might allow a look see, at the top of the latch assembly.
I don´t envy you, trying to get the door open, without messing something up.

edited by: MudderChuck, Jun 14, 2003 - 05:59 PM[addsig]

Thanks for replying so fast. BTW it is a 96, not a 95 - my mistake, but that probably makes no difference. It definitely feels like it is jammed, and not loose. I took the door lock and window switch houseing off (as much as I could without disconnecting everything), and it seems to be jammed. I did try banging on the door, inside and out while my wife was trying to unlock the door, but it didn't work. I will probably try to take the window molding out to see if I can figure out what is wrong.

A couple of things I neglected to say in my first post that your reply jogged in my memory, is that it had started to work sluggishly since last winter when it was involved in a fender bender with a gard rail. All the damage was to the front and passenger side quarter panel. The door was ok, but it did require repainting to blend in with the new front quarter panel.

Sometime after that the power lock started to only work sometimes, when the remote or door switch was activated. It sometimes took several attempts to get the lock to release. I could always just lean over and manually unlock the door, however it took more effort than it should to unlock it.

We just got it back from the garage today where they did some work on the cooling system and air conditioning. Ever since then, the door will not unlock at all.[addsig]

I´ve (my wife has) a 96 also, I havn´t had the door panels off yet. But I´m guessing they are pretty much the same as my 88 or our old 87. Before you take the outer molding off, which can bend/break the fasteners. Go ahead and unplug the switch assmbly (windows and such), being careful not to loose the clips that hold (hook) the connector to the rear of the switch assembly. A small screwdriver and some persistance will unhook the rods from the handle and door lock. A small screw driver and maybe a pair of needle nose pliers will help when reinstalling the rods (as will the spouse holding a flashlight). It´s easier if you keep track of which rod is which for reassembly.
On the early models and I´m guessing on the 96, there is a rubber block, with a couple of holes, that the door handle opening rod and door lock rod pass through, on the inside of the door. If this rubber block slips or gets twisted in a knot, it will make the door lock stiff and in some cases impossible to operate. The rubber (foam block) is to keep the rods from rattleing against the door. By disconnectiong the rods from the lock button and the handle, this will remove some of the tension and possibly allow you to pull the rod with a pair of pliers pretty hard (not too hard). This might allow the door to unlock, if not, moving the rod back and forth vigoresly might also do the trick.
Lubricating the plastic door lock switch with a little vasiline and the rods where they pass through the rubber (foam spacer/rattle) block and lubricating the latch assembly (from the inside) with WD 40 usually helps.
I´ve tried lubricating the latch assembly with lithium grease, which gets pretty stiff when cold (has a hard time unlocking electrically), have tried spray oil, which eventually dries out, my next try will probably be with a light bicycle chain oil or maybe a synethic motor oil. I wonder what Jeep recommends for lubricating the latch? Graphit oil might also work.[addsig]

Back