2000 Cherokee Classic

[FONT=&quot]Battery died on me during a cold spell. When I try to jump it or swap out the battery, the antitheft alarm horn is just blaring. Bought her used and don't know if the antitheft system is OEM or after market. The 2000 Cherokee does not have a key fob as the Grand Cherokee of the same year did, some most of the advice I'm finding on the Internet is useless and, stupid me, I didn't write down what I had to do the last time I replaced the battery. All I remember is there was some magic combination of putting the key in, the sequence of connecting the terminals, and something with the door locks. Anyone know? I'm driving my neighbors nuts trying to figure it out through trial and error![/FONT]

Use jeep issued key only (programmed or chipped)

Insert your key and turn the drivers side door lock to the right , then left and then right again ...this will reset the security system.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

The WCM (a small electronic device connected to your ignition switch, that has a loop that goes around the cylinder and “reads” the key) has failed, which is actually a common thing with a few models of jeeps and certain models actually had a recall a few years ago because it was so widespread.

If your stock key looks like this it is a chipped key
Image1645366230.281343.jpg

Did this work?

Insert your key and turn the drivers side door lock to the right , then left and then right again ...this will reset the security system.

Does your engine start and keep running.

Update: [FONT=&quot]Never found the magic combination that worked last time but I was able to take the time to find the alarm horn and trace the cables to the instrument cluster under the dash where I removed the jumper. I did reconnect it after the new battery was installed and no alarm, so success just the same![/FONT]

Back