Jeep Liberty belt tensioner noise

jzjohnz

Got a 2006 Liberty 3.7L, 4WD with 108k miles on it and am getting what sounds like a noise from the smooth idler pulley on the belt tensioner (not the grooved pulley on the tensioner) when the revs get to 2000 rpm. It continues to about 2800 rpm then seems to quiet down a bit. I can rev the engine in the garage in neutral to the same rpm range and can hear the same noise clearly. It also happens when starting out driving, in that same rpm range, while shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd but no more after that. I placed a Harbor Freight stethoscope on the mounting bolts on both pulleys, while spinning, and can't seem to hear anything unusual.

Instead of replacing that one idler, I figured maybe just replacing the whole tensioner that comes with both pulleys included. Main question I have is when is it advisable to replace the tensioner? My Liberty still has the original tensioner on it and it seems to be working well enough but I want to change the belt and have been reading that the tensioner and belts should be changed together. Also, do after market belt tensioners hold up well enough or should we be replacing them with an OEM part?

i only ever changed a tension when it failed. i have never changed them when changing a belt

If the belt isn’t slipping and the tensioner is not making noise you don’t need to change it. I change the belt when it show cracks on the grooved side.
For the idler pully check Rock auto and they list oem and others. They usually are under $5 you can pay more but shouldn’t be more than $20 for Mopar.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice gentlemen. Kind of figured the same thing but you hear all kinds of different recommendations nowadays on the web.

Back