Coolant leak near battery?

booga

FC408380-B6C0-4A56-B28F-B69FCC665BC8.jpegHi everyone! I am new to this forum, brought here by a coolant leak that is making me go absolutely insane and hoping someone can help me :)

here is the gist of things:

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with ~193k miles on it. V6, AWD, 3.7L, automatic transmission.

I’ve owned the vehicle for 3 years and have had no issues until recently.

At first I noticed my upper radiator hose was deflated when cold, and that there was coolant pooling in this little space near the battery terminal and it also will drip down onto the ground. To remedy the leak I tried the following: changing upper radiator hose, changing radiator cap, and also I replaced thermostat. I also checked the overflow hose, which was clogged, and i unclogged it. When i first changed the upper hose the leak stopped for like 2 days but now it’s right back at it. The temperature gauge never goes past the halfway point. Only one time did I notice white “smoke” from my exhaust, but other than that nothing. I have checked every single radiator/cooling hose and cannot see any cracks, wear, leaks, weakness, they’re not wet, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas?! There’s literally a 1.5 month wait to get into a mechanic where I live, so I’ve been trying to do this myself. I have diagnosed/repaired various things on different vehicles before, but I’m honestly at a loss.

Thank you so much. Pics attached.

[https://imgur.com/a/SqJavCD](https://imgur.com/a/SqJavCD)

Are you certain that is coolant and not the battery leaking? It is getting cooler out and cold kills batteries.
Second, with loosing fluid I assume you are topping it off regularly? If not either overheating is in the future or you do not have a coolant leak. Keep checking the expansion tank. If you keep it at full cold before starting when all is cold you should be good.

Next while idling in park and at temp (maybe after a long ride)open the hood and look for leaks. The radiator could pee a stream over there.
If you unclogged the expansion tank and your upper hose is collapsing…either you still have a clog or your radiator cap is not operating correctly.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Are you certain that is coolant and not the battery leaking? It is getting cooler out and cold kills batteries.
Second, with loosing fluid I assume you are topping it off regularly? If not either overheating is in the future or you do not have a coolant leak. Keep checking the expansion tank. If you keep it at full cold before starting when all is cold you should be good.

Next while idling in park and at temp (maybe after a long ride)open the hood and look for leaks. The radiator could pee a stream over there.
If you unclogged the expansion tank and your upper hose is collapsing…either you still have a clog or your radiator cap is not operating correctly.

thank you for your response.

so I am like 98% certain it is coolant. the fluid has the same coolant look and smell and I am indeed topping my fluid off quite a bit. I had previously replaced the upper hose because it was collapsing when cold, but does not collapse anymore after replacing. I also replaced the radiator cap at the same time I replaced the upper hose.

Is there spring clips on both ends of the expansion tank hose? And your expansion tank is not cracked? So when at temp and tank should be full that is not spraying/leaking out??
As noted earlier you could fill everything cold and then drive, stop and check, drive, stop and check…
Another possibility is UV light. The coolant should luminess under a black light. Or you coukd add dye that will.
Problem is you have to start with clean under the hood in the area you are looking.

Also the overflow side of the expansion tank has a hose that hangs down to the ground past all the components??
If not maybe your battling an overheat issue and not a leak.

Back