2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trilling Noise

kdg8903

Hi all! I am a bit desperate lol...so, a little history, I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD Laredo. It has been a fantastic vehicle until the last couple of months. Here is a run-down of issues...

1. Making loud clunks when turning or accelerating. Husband replaced driver's side CV axle. No luck.

2. Clunks became louder and scarier...turns out to have been the transfer case. Through an act of God, obtained a new transfer case. Local mechanic replaced.

3. Upon pickup from mechanic, it started making a NEW noise that I had not ever heard before. Sounds like when you roll your R's while speaking Spanish. I saw another poster on another forum describe it as the sound the wheel on Wheel of Fortune makes when it is spun. Perfect description, but much older year, and possible fixes were all over the board. At low speeds, it is not noticeable. I'm not even sure it's doing it as very low speeds. It only really kicks in when I reach around 40 mph. From 40-50 it is pretty loud and noticeable. Above 50, it is much quieter and less consistent. I've been watching the gear display as it happens, and it seems to happen mostly in 7th gear.

4. Took it back to mechanic. He determined the CV axle my husband replaced was a bad axle from the store. Replaced driver's side CV again - feels much better over there, but he was able to at least locate the new noise with a stethoscope (don't make fun if that's not what they're really called...that's how he described it to me lol). He said he can hear it distinctly on the passenger side, but I'm unclear if it was in the wheel hub or the thing that connects to the thing that connects to the thing...you get my drift...he mentioned transaxle. Don't know anything about that.

5. Put in some sort of additive and said give it a few days to get worked in there, but that's been since Friday, and it's still making the noise.

He is working diligently to find the resolution, and I honestly couldn't be happier with the service and effort I've received. I am just hoping someone here might have some experience to share that might help make a diagnosis. We've got a pretty big trip coming up for Thanksgiving...about a 12 hour drive, and I really need to know my vehicle is safe to go that far.

Please help :(

Great history. What is the current issue sound like and could you upload or link a youtube video of it.

They check rear drive shaft u joints? Being the transfer case was changed??

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Great history. What is the current issue sound like and could you upload or link a youtube video of it.

They check rear drive shaft u joints? Being the transfer case was changed??

Unfortunately, I don't have a recording of the noise, and it only does it at speed, so I couldn't really take a video of it. The mechanic got it to do it on the lift though. I'm not sure about the u joints...it's on the front passenger axle setup.

really odd its only in 7th gear. i would say abs sensor or something is rubbing but it would do it all the time. at that speed, it has to be in the transmission

or, something is being pushed against a front axle or wheel by the wind. maybe the front air dam is loose and flapping against the bottom of the bumper a little bit?

Just wanted to let everyone know what we found finally...turns out it was the front differential. Replaced it and noise is gone.

Wow wouldn’t have guessed that.
Was it dry? Bad bearing?

Wow wouldn’t have guessed that.
Was it dry? Bad bearing?

Not real sure honestly. The mechanic asked to keep the bad one so he could take it apart and see if he could figure it out because he was stumped as well. That's why it took him so long to officially diagnose that because he had never experienced that before.

@superj
No kidding! All told, I sunk about $4500.00 into it including the initial transfer case.

Back