2018 Jeep Compass Engine Turns Over But Won't Start

SoloGarth

[FONT=&quot]Hi Everyone,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am hoping someone might be able to provide me with a new direction before I decide to have the car towed to the dealership.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2018 Jeep Compass Latitude - 50k miles. Manual 5 speed. Driven regularly. Yesterday my wife attempted to start the car and it wouldn't start. The starter cranks over but nothing more.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is what I have done so far:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Checked for error codes with OBD2 - no codes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tested the battery and found it to be ok, but could be replaced soon.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Checked all of the fuses and the applicable relays.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Removed the seat and checked that the fuel pump is pumping - it is.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just replaced the air filter which was marginal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gas tank is a little over half full.

I feel like this is going to turn out to be something stupid as it was running fine up until recently. Any help or dummy checks are appreciated![/FONT]

did you happen to check the fuel pressure? or pull an injector and see if its actually spraying fuel?

No I haven't. I just verified that the pump is running as it should. Is there a way to check fuel pressure other than by removing an injector?

I would rather leave the fuel line stuff to the pros, so if this ends up being the cause I'll have it handled in a shop. I can smell unburned fuel from the exhaust after attempting to start the car for what that is worth.

This strikes me as an electrical issue as the car was operating fine just a couple days ago and now it wont even attempt to start the combustion process. I would expect clogged injectors or a clogged fuel filter to be more of a gradual failure. I am an EE though so perhaps that is just hopeful thinking.

Any Check Engine Light CEL?
You could do the key dance and see codes in the odometer readout.

Any issues before this?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

No check engine light. No codes shown on OBD2. No prior issues. It started fine, I moved it into the garage and the next day this.

Not real familiar with the compass.
However in general crank sensors fail without warning and can result in no start. Stop on the highway, or at a traffic light.

Whatever you change sensor wise, use OEM. Others fail out of the box.

if you are smelling fuel in the exhaust, its probably not that. i agree with JPNinPA on checking that sensor.

Yes I have seen those. Wrong year. They moved the relays out of the wheel well (stupid place to put them) and into the top of the engine compartment. I had previously checked all of the relays and they are pristine.

So I did just get the car started. The only thing I did differently this time was that I put it in 1st while I cranked. I gave it a good amount of cranking and some throttle. It struggled but then started. A bunch of black smoke came out of the exhaust. Drove it around the neighborhood without issue. Parked it back in the garage and turned it off. Started back up without a problem. So know I don't know what the issue was and I don't trust the car to start when my wife takes it somewhere next.

You put in in 1st gear and started it? It didn’t jump or buck when turning the engine? Auto transmission??

Do you mean neutral?

Second the sputter snd start can be 2 things. One is a stuck leaky injector. It floods the cylinder and the engine will not turn until all the gas is out.
To verify this when it cranks without starting, hold the gas pedal to the floor and try to start again. Ig it starts you may have a injector issue.

Maybe the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment, or even bad? No idea where its at on your jeep though, have to google it

It was in first with the clutch depressed.

I will try the gas pedal thing if it happens again, thanks.

I am wondering if this is actually a fuel issue? Perhaps water in the tank or just bad fuel.

superj, it didn't start up easily as I would expect if this was a switch issue. It still struggled for a while. I think it started on the third try.

It is still covered by the powertrain warranty. I will probably contact the dealership regarding this.

It was in first with the clutch depressed.

I will try the gas pedal thing if it happens again, thanks.

I am wondering if this is actually a fuel issue? Perhaps water in the tank or just bad fuel.

The black smoke kind of indicates rich fuel mixture.

FYI putting the pedal to the floor reads as WOT and cuts the fuel pump off completely. Halfway or 3/4 is halfway or 3/4, and it’s still pumping gas into the culinders. Be sure you hold it to the floor.

Last edited:
Is it starting normally now?

Back