'06 Commander won't shift past 3rd

pioneerpreacher

I have an '06 Commander with the engine light on, and it won't shift out of 3rd gear.
1. Is there a way for me to shut off the engine light, resetting codes?
2. If it is the ECU to replace it with a used one, what numbers do I need to match?
It is a 5.7L Hemi and it runs great, but not shifting out of 3rd. Any suggestions?
Thank You
PioneerPreacher

What code is causing the check engine light. Go to a parts store and let them use their scanner or buy a cheap one online.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

First check transmission fluid, level and color.
Read the codes as mentioned above. They help diagnose issues. To read you could borrow a reader or turn the key from off to on 3 times in 10 seconds. The codes show in the odometer.

To clear the codes remove the battery cables and turn the key to the on position to drain all charge.
Reattach the cables.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Have you verified the overdrive button wasn't pushed?
I accidentally pushed it once on my JK and it took me a bit to figure out why it wouldn't shift into 4th.

I have an '06 Commander with the engine light on, and it won't shift out of 3rd gear.
1. Is there a way for me to shut off the engine light, resetting codes?
2. If it is the ECU to replace it with a used one, what numbers do I need to match?
It is a 5.7L Hemi and it runs great, but not shifting out of 3rd. Any suggestions?
Thank You
PioneerPreacher

Thank You all for your suggestions, I have tried these. No "overdrive button" on mine.
Have a Merry Christmas
pioneerpreacher

So your trans oil color is good and correct level?
What codes do you have? If the engine light was on there are codes. Posting them will help diagnose.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back