Cherokee XJ 1994 loud knocking

michaelc291

Recently my Cherokee has been knocking at the back end when cornering or going round roundabouts. It knocks when you go one way and it knocks when you go back. It literally sounds like someone hammering on the chassis, very loud.

We have crawled around underneath checking everything. Springs, shockers, U-bolts, spring eye bushes and shackle bushes but nothing is jumping out at us and prising everything with a bar has not shown anything to be loose.

My thoughts went to half shaft end float, but the knock is so hard I would doubt that. If a C-clip had broken I would have lost a wheel by now. There are no noises when going straight down the road, only when you make a turn.

Can anyone come up with a suggestion or two what might be going on? Thanks.

Rear sway bar connector

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Rear sway bar connector

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Thanks for all the suggestions. That will give be something to check out over the weekend. I hadn't actually thought of this particular part.
As a Brit, the American terminology caused us to think a bit. Thank heavens for Google. We call them anti-roll bars.

I have already got front bushes on order as I could see light past them. The noise is definitely at the back RHS.

We just did the normal American thing of trying to make it less words, ha ha ha.

Instead of anti-sway or anti-roll bars, it's less words to say sway bars

We just did the normal American thing of trying to make it less words, ha ha ha.

Instead of anti-sway or anti-roll bars, it's less words to say sway bars

As is often said two countries divided by common language.

Here's an update. I still have the problem. I have replaced the front 'sway bar' bushes with polyprop ones and all other bushes nearby as well, no change, in fact it's got worse as even normal cornering makes the clunk now. I don't have a sway bar at the back.

The annual test is due next month and they put the car on four pads that then shake hell out of it. I expect they will find it, which will be a fail. But at least I'll know where the problem lies!!

I jacked it up and heaved on the wheel in and out. Minimal movement noted, so that tends to rule out the diff.

Last edited:
As is often said two countries divided by common language.

Here's an update. I still have the problem. I have replaced the front 'sway bar' bushes with polyprop ones and all other bushes nearby as well, no change, in fact it's got worse as even normal cornering makes the clunk now. I don't have a sway bar at the back.

The annual test is due next month and they put the car on four pads that then shake hell out of it. I expect they will find it, which will be a fail. But at least I'll know where the problem lies!!

I jacked it up and heaved on the wheel in and out. Minimal movement noted, so that tends to rule out the diff.

i wonder if maybe you have a transmission mount failing?

back right hand side is the exhaust side. and you said hte exhaust is not swinging and hitting the shock?

Back