Broke brake line...how to fix?

bradleyheathhays

Had a wheel cylinder start leaking on the old '96 XJ so I figure I'll do all new rear brake parts since I haven't been into them in a while. After getting all the pass side taken apart I go to take the brake line off the backside of the cylinder and the hard brake line twists off right behind the 3/8" nut. It was abundantly clear after the fact that the nut is supposed to turn independently of the brake line, but it didn't. I should've looked into a tutorial before getting into it and maybe I could've avoided this altogether.

So the line that's broken is the pass side hard brake line that goes from the wheel cylinder to the brake line plenum (?) on top of the axle. The one that looks like it's wrapped in a coiled wire.

How in the world do I replace this? It's not showing up on any parts list so I guess I'll have to get my trusty mechanics to make it?

Also, I haven't broken down the driver side brake yet, so any advice on getting that nut out of the cylinder without twisting the line apart like I did with this first one is much appreciated as well.

Your local auto parts stores sells brake lines in various lengths and diameters. Remove the old line and take it with you. They'll match up the diameter and fittings. You'll have to make all the bends yourself. It's best to use a brake line bending tool but I have used a rattle can - you don't want to kink the line which is easy to do if you just use your hands. If the new line is too long I just make an extra bend or loop to get it to work.

I try to souse the fittings down with PB Blaster hours/days before unscrewing the line - that often prevents the line from twisting when removing.

I'm with Mark on this. Head over to your local auto parts store and buy a pre-flared tube. Something like this will help you bend it without kinking it

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-11487-Tubing-Bender/dp/B0069TROZA

41N2wbxck4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

PB blaster and a torch. I bought a small butane torch and it gets in tight places.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

image-missing.png

Last edited:
Back