Cherokee stalls at highway speeds

Beeper

I am new to jeeps , but I have been visiting different sites trying to find any help with my problem. The local mechanic can not find it. He says everything seems to be working fine whenever he checks it. My 1991 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L IL6 dies at highway speeds. The Jeep has 126,000 miles on it. I bought it used. When the engine dies I can start it back up but I just never know when it will happen. Idle is fine. Engine was replaced at 98,000 miles according to previous owner and runs great. Have any of you experienced this and were able to fix it? I see a post below about stalling during idle, but mine goes out while cruising down the road. I looked at the crank sensor since so many posts mentioned it in response to stalling. There is a rubber grommet attached to the sensor that seems to cover a port on the bellhousing. This grommet is deformed from heat and is no longer covering the port. I removed the grommet. Would this have anything to do with the performance of the sensor? Most sensors I have worked with either work or they don't. Can the crank sensor on a Jeep work off and on? I don't have the pockets to just go replacing parts. Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks for any advice you can give me.[addsig]

Hey Beeper man I feel your pain, "sucks don't it" welcome and hopefully we will not have to have you searching to much more. So when cruiseing along at hwy speed it just dies out on you but will restart no problem. It almost sounds to me like a fule filter or something somple like that. I hope some one comes along asap and gives you a simple ez to fix way to make that puppy go.

I would start with the simplest and cheapest fixes first. Fule filter injector cleaner bla bla bla. I know I have not helped much here but will be standing by and giving it thought. Luck to you Tug[addsig]

Here's a way to check for failed crank sensor. If it goes out on the highway and you can
not restart try unplugging and reconnecting sensor then crank engine. I have done this on a few 4.0 with similar problem. If it works then replace your Crank sensor. Crank sensor plug is usually green conn 3 wire rear driver side valve cover.[addsig]

My 94 had a similar problem of stalling randomly while driving. It also would always start right back up. During inspection the week after I got it, it stalled as I was attempting to back into the garage. When I told the mechanics that it stalls randomly in the middle of driving, they both said it was the CPS. I had it replaced and it hasnt stalled since then. It's probably not fuel related because of it starting right back up after you stall.
I think the extra money paid to replace the sensor is well worth not putting yourself in danger by stalling in the middle of the highway. Just my .02.
Rob[addsig]

Well, guys, it was the crank sensor. I also had a bad coil. So far, so good with this problem. The Jeep finally would not start at all and the mechanic was able to pinpoint the crank sensor. He said he had never seen one act this way. Usually they either work or they don't. I told him what I had read on this sight about the crank sensor and stalling problems. You folks hit it on the head! Thanks. :)
[addsig]

Go on with your bad self Beeper glad to hear you are on the road again. A down jeep will just kill your day. Now do not run off there is a need for your input here as well as your questions. Tug[addsig]

Back