Window Tint

doctorcherokee

This is not really a Jeep-specific question but does apply to my Jeep Cherokee. I know nothing about window tint. If you have defroster lines on the back window, is it possible to apply tint film? It seems that tint could only be applied on the outside. Is that possible? Is window tint film customarily applied on the inside of a window? :) [addsig]

Well first of all welcome to Jeepz.com ...
Yes you can apply tint to the rear window....
even if it has a defrost...The only thing is
if for some reason you want to take it off
it will pull the defrost lines off...But it does go
on the inside of the window .... :-D [addsig]

Thanks for the welcome! This is a great site.

Can you think of a good circumstance in which I'd want to remove the tint? I'm thinking like 35% tint. Does tint film wear out quickly? Thanks for any input. :-D[addsig]

No I can't see why you would want to remove
tint, and it takes a while for professional tint
to wear out, if it's good tint and taken care of it will last
anywhere from 6-10 years ....... :-D [addsig]

Welcome! I have factory tint in my pavement ends hard top and love it. Yes it is applyed to the inside as far as I know. tug[addsig]

The wife´s 95 XJ has a middle dark tint, on the rear window. Drives me nuts. A little dirt, a little glare and I´m pretty much blind backing up in the dark. Stock mirrors don´t show much, when backing between trees and such.
Finally at Tug´s urgeing, installed a 55 watt backup light, which helps.
The tint was applied over the rear window heater wires, it appears to be factory, from the markings (decal). But it was applied in two sheets, which are seperating, at one of the heater wires, somewhere near the middle of the rear window. Really wish the whole mess would fall off.[addsig]

Opinion question for y'all...would tint on every window but the back hatch window look strange? I'm not sure if I wanna mess with those heater lines. :)[addsig]

it'd be strange and defeat the purpose of having tint - blocking headlights from behind... if you're worried about the defroster lines, have a professional do it. :)[addsig]

i believe they have a new liquid that you spray on your old window tint to remove it. It doesnt damage the defroster lines.[addsig]

I am really interested in what this spray is. Could please post what it is called and where to get it. I have some pretty nasty tint in my 88 that needs to go.
Thanks,
Sound_Man[addsig]

Well, when I replaced the window tint on my car a year ago I initially started scraping it with a razorblade. That wasnt so neat and it took my defroster lines right off. Then when I went to get new tint put on I wasnt quite finished removing the old tint so I asked them if they would finish it for me. They told me that I should have just come to them first. So the tint place had the spray, I'm not sure what it was called or where to get it. Just call some tint places and ask around. G/L HTH[addsig]

I've seen that spray at WalMart Autozone, and most autoparts stores. Look in the auotomotive section next to the do-it-yourself tint section.-Al[addsig]

Back