87 XJ woes

aemilehi

Hi All!

I'm new here, though I have been reading the posts since I bought my XJ 6 months ago. I noticed an oil leak start about 3 weeks ago, lo and behold it's the rear main seal. Not a huge surprise, but I figure not too serious since the XJ only has 109K miles on it. Took it to the shop, because she fried the alternator and I wanted it checked over. Turns out it had an alternator and a rear main seal 2 years ago. The oil is getting trapped in the cowl up front and the fan is blowing mist all over, frying alternators.

Can I remove the cowl? The mechanic said no, but is there a reason why not?

Now here's my dilemma, this is a great Jeep and I love it. The mechanic also noticed a leak at the oil adaptor(?) but it's not terrible, again typical. He's afraid that if I fix the rear main that it will happen again because there is a valley worn from the crank. Can I replace the crank, and should I? Is it better to get a rebuilt, or do I just try another seal and pray? I have about 2 years worth of payments left on it, and I'm desperate.

Thanks for your consideration and ideas......

Alex

edited by: aemilehi, Jul 16, 2003 - 03:30 AM[addsig]

Hi, welcome to the board.

First what engine is this, 4 or 6 cyl.?

When you say cowl, do you mean the fan shroud (plastic piece around the fan)?? If so, removing the fan shroud greatly reduces the efficiency of the fan, which won't help cool the engine.

Also, you said the rear main oil seal is leaking. How is the oil getting way up to the fan shroud? Or are there other oil leaks (like the oil pan gasket)??

Let us know so we can help you better :-D
-Nick[addsig]

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome!

It's an inline 6 4.0L.

It's not the fan shroud, its like a fish pan that is under the vehicle and bends up a bit. The mechanic said its trapping the oil and then it is being pulled up and blown out through the fan.

So the oil is migrating forward, getting trapped in this "guard", fish pan (sorry I don't know the name) and then being blown around.

I hope this is clearer. :-D

Alex

edited by: aemilehi, Jul 16, 2003 - 05:08 AM[addsig]

Oh, and I forgot to mention......

The XJ runs great! Flew through a tough emissions, has no blow by and lots of power.

Thought I should add that, just in case it will help![addsig]

If all it does is cover the under side of the engine, I'd say remove it. I don't know if my '88 ever had one of those, but if so it is long gone, and I've never had problems.

Hope that helps
-Nick[addsig]

<<Now here's my dilemma, this is a great Jeep and I love it. The mechanic also noticed a leak at the oil adaptor(?) but it's not terrible, again typical. He's afraid that if I fix the rear main that it will happen again because there is a valley worn from the crank. Can I replace the crank, and should I? Is it better to get a rebuilt, or do I just try another seal and pray? I have about 2 years worth of payments left on it, and I'm desperate.>>

Hi Again......

Could someone please help me out with some ideas?? I really am desperate!!!!!!

Thanks folks!!

Alex
:-? [addsig]

If you are reffering to the large rubber guard that is under the radiator in the front and goes from side to side of the engine compartment. Yes, you can remove it and everything will be okay.

Back