1996 Cherokee has rough idle

superflei

My 1996 Jeep (automatic) is idling a little more rough than normal right now. It shakes more now when I have it parked or am stopped.

Also, I feel some hesitation when I drive and am wondering if I need new spark plugs, or a fuel/air filter. Any help on this matter would rock.[addsig]

I hate to sound like a broken record, but here goes:

Yes deffinitely to a tune up. Change the plugs and wires. My experience has shown that it really is a good idea to go with the manufacturer's recommendation for plugs. As for wires, mine had a rough idle (not to bad, but it sounded too much like a diesel) and after I replaced the wires with the Autozone $15 wire set it actually smoothed it out.

I also took the distributer cap off and cleaned it up with a wire brush. The contacts didn't look that bad, just dirty. This would also be a good time to change out your CCV value (in case you getting a little oil blow by in the air box) and I'd go ahead and change your fuel filter too. You may want to also clean your throttle body and all of the linkage for your throttle body with some carb cleaner and finish it off with a little lube (not in the throttle body, just the throttle linkage and other moving parts), every little bit helps.

If you have access to a timing light yo may want to check your timing and the last thing I can think of that would cause a bad idle would be to check all of your runbber vaccum lines for cracking, cuts, or breaks that would cause a leak.

I'm sure everyone has seen this on go_jeep.com , but this would be a good time to remove your air silencer as well from the air box. I put in a K&N replacement filter (just in case emmisions testing kicks up here in Austin, TX) and removed the silencer. A little more engine noise, but engine purrs like a kitten now.

Yes, I do have time to kill, just my $0.02.[addsig]

Back