4.0L inline 6 swap

aemilehi

Okay, I am considering my options here & saw a motor for a decent price out of a '92. Same inline 6 etc.

Question: Will this bolt right into my 87? Is there anything I need to know, ie; electrical clips change from the 87 to the 92 (like 4 prong to 6 prong or whatever) or ???

Any advice from someone who knows about a swap like this would be helpful.

Thanks for all the advice so far, this board has been invaluable!!

Alex

One thing that might cause differences is if the motors came from different transmission types. Is your transmission manual or auto? what about the donor vehicle's transmission? If one is an auto and the other is a manual, you may have to do some rewiring. For example, the starting circuit, TPS, etc. will have slight wiring differences between auto/manual.

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know :D

-Nick :!:

Also, it is in your best interest to get the computer and as many wiring harnesses as possible with the engine. If the seller can't sell you them, be sure you have a good set of schematics for both Jeeps (haynes manuals schematics aren't the best). It will make the job much easier. Unfourtionately, you can't always rely on the circuits matching up just because the connectors fit.

-Nick :!:

The transmissions are the same.......computer.......didn't even think of something like that! I have been driving pre 1980 vehicles for soooo long that the thought had never occurred to me. Something more to think about than just the swap. Thanks for the input, I definitely need all the help I can get.

Still wrestling with doing a full swap or just replacing the main seal and praying. Trying to figure what the best option is! All advice is more than welcome, for sure!

I blows my mind that this Jeep could run so strong, pass tough emissions, etc and have a crap motor......

Alex

I am getting ready to do an engine swap on an 4.0 as well. I am ordering my motor online from this place. They seem to be the cheapest on the net. A lot cheaper than any local place I could find. 7 year 70k mile warranty and it will bolt right in.

Back