Front end wobble, not wheel shimmy.

RookieJeeper

I live in Canada, so i go by Kms/h. whenever i go over 80 Km/h and turn my wheel very slightly to the right, the front right tire wobbles and vibrates. the alignment is slightly off as it looks, but i'm wondering if this could be a warn trac-bar or something of the sort? any ideas?[addsig]

Well it could be several things. First I would make sure that all of your wheels are balanced and rotated. Does it do this when a different wheel and tire are in the same location? Second, since it only does it when you turn right, have all of your Zerk (spellin?) fittings lubed up. Check any bushings for cracks, deterioration, or absence... as in, not there! I don't know what kind of jeep you have since you are in the Non-Wrangler section, but if you have a CV joint, definitely check for a cracked boot. Last, and this is remote, check your universal joints in your drive shafts. This would only be the problem if the whole jeep shakes at high velocity. Good Luck. Let us know what the diagnosis is/was when you find out!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

well i swithed tires, and it still does it. so i'm guessing something is loose or worn underneath. going to check for looseness right now, while the sun is hiding.

Edit: zerk fittings lubed, except u-joint fittings, cause gun wouldnt fit.[addsig]

My 93 Sport is doing something similar. When I really get on it, like merging onto the highway, sometimes the front end will feel like the wheels are not bolted down tight. If I back off the gas a little and then speed up again the problem goes away. It won't do it every time, other times it is smooth all the way up to 80mph.

If you figure out the problem let me know, I'm about to put a 3" lift and 31" tires on it and I'll start really checking out the front end for problems.[addsig]

lift the front end up,use jack stands to secure,grab wheel at 12 and 6 o clock(top and bottom) push in top while pulling out bottom and reverse....maybe your ball joint is starting to go...maybe[addsig]

If it were the stearing stabilizer, would I feel anything in the stearing wheel?

I'll try that berettajeep, i didn't have it off the ground yesterday when i was checking for looseness, but i will try that for sure taday. balloo93, your problem doesn't sound the same as mine. It almost sounds more like wheel shimmy to me. Does it do it when you get to a certain speed, then if you go higher does it go away?

Edit: put Jeep up on stands and tried wiggling the tire from top and bottom, no go.

got underneath and twisted the track bar and control arms and what not, and they have play in them if twisted. i can also see play in the stearing stabilizer, right at the shock. if i bang it, it makes a noise as if there is some play in it.[addsig]

Check the easy things first. Jack the front wheels off the ground. Block the rear tires. Using a set of jack stands is better, because you are going to be twisting and shaking things pretty good. It´s also nice to have a buddy around to do the shaking while you look. Make a makeshift, indicator (welding rod works well. And touch it to the rims spin the tire slowly and check to see if the rims are pretty straight. Have your budy take a 3 or four foot piece of 2X4 and put it under the tire and lift up and down with moderate force (be careful). You can sometimes hear the ball joints klicking. It´s sometimes hard to see the movement because of the rubber dust boots. But almost any movement in the balljoints and it´s time for a change. An out of alignment tire and a loose ball joint will give the symptoms you mentioned. Also take a close look at the wheel bearings any play it´s time for some new ones. While you have the fronts off of the ground move the front axle (shake slowly) left to right you can usually see loose track bar parts. The inspection usually requires a flashlight even in daylight, so you got to get close as the play is sometimes hard to see (be careful): I once spent a day and a night under a Jeep with the muffler in my chest. Alot of people often forget the rear track bar (pan hard) it won´t usually cause wobble but will make the Jeep wander some on the road. It could be as simple as an out of align front end and taller tires, the hieghth is usually in the side wall and taller side walls flex more. Good hunting Mudder.[addsig]

once i get the stearing box fixed, i think the best thing to do is replace the stearing stabilizer, ball joints, and tires.

tires and rims are rough. there are grooves out of the sides of the rims from previous owner off roading it. front tires are unevenly worn. all together a good idea.

thanks ppl.

Edit: took Jeep to my reliable mechanic I took 1 look at stearing shaft and box and said forget it! i'm not that mechanically inclined. He says its most likely a broken seal. they'll have it fixed tomorrow for $150 Canadian. If thats what it is then its better than paying for a used 1 and having it put on

[addsig]

If it messes up again try LARES CORP. 13517 HWY: 65 N.E. Mineapolis M.N. the will sell you a re-conditioned for around a hundred. They are also really good about scouring the junk yards and finding hard to find parts for oldies. And will make custom steering boxes, pretty much for the price of a reconditioned unit, if they have the parts on hand. Been using them for about twenty years, and htey have always treated me good and gone out of there way for unusal requists.[addsig]

Had a similar vibrating wheel problem that seemed to be corrected by slowing down and only happened randomly over bumps or turns. Turned out to be the stabilizer... about $30. Fixed the problem.

(Mechanic quoted me for replacing entire suspension system.)[addsig]

Back