Just a Jeep thing?

MudderChuck

I had a fairly pronounced miss/cross fire/stumble at around 2000 RPM in high gear. I`ve been slowly changing out most of the questionable ignition parts, often with some success. As the problem got better, but never did, really go away.
To make a lond story short, I washed the under side of my 88 XJ, after changing a front transfer seal. The side of the transmission, the transfer and the bell housing. Also sprayed of the motor some. The skip stumble is gone and the Jeep seems to have picked up a few more horses.
If I knew my Jeep liked baths so much, I´d wash it more often.
Is it possible, a dirty CPS or something could affect the ignition that profoundly?
Or is it just a Jeep thing?

I don't think you could hit the head of the CPS by washing the motor and transmission without pulling the CPS out unless the rubber guard it goes through is missing. If it is and you washed it off you have water in your bellhousing and that is not a good thing.
I believe that some vacume line may have been off or loose or there is a bad contact in a plug somplace and you may have forced it to make contact with the water. If it comes back in a day or so start checking all of the plug style connectors and wires for corrosion.
I power wash my motor, transmission, transfer, undercarriage all the time. I hate it when I go to work on it and get really dirty for no real reason other than me being to lazy to keep it clean. :D

I am going to have to agree here on the clean engin deal. You have to keep the moven parts clean. When it is time to work I hate to have to clean it just to find it. The under hood areas are washed as much as the outside for me. tug

Back