Driver Side Window

Jeeper89

I have a 88 Cherokee Larado, power windows and locks, I installed new front speakers yesterday and i didnt disconnect the battery, i know i know that was my mistake, now my driver side window will not roll up or down, every other window works, and i can controll them from the driver panel, the locks work too, it just that window.....i thought it would be a quick job just installing the front speakers before work and didnt think i needed to disconnect the battery, but i was wrong, any help will be greatly appericated

Thanks,
Cody

There is only one power cable and a single fuse for the power window master panel (drivers door)(beleieve there is another power cable for the door locks). If you fried the switch (which I´ve never seen), it may be hard to troubleshoot. There are only two wires going to the window motor, with a connector (plug) close to the motor (maybe six/eight inches away from the motor). I´ve seen a wire break, near where the wires are connect at the motor (usually due to vibration). Most times, there is a cable problem, the windows work only one direction. Listen when you try to raise or lower the window and see if you can´t hear if it´s trying to move.
I´ve seen the little clips, that hold the large connecter, to the back of the master panel, fall off and the plug shift, causing all kinds of problems.

i cant hear the motor trying to move the window, thank god the window was up, it dosent even move up or down, its like the motor or switch dosent work, the confusing part is that i can still controll all the other windows from the master panel just not the drivers side window, guess i'll be riding with the a/c on until i can get it fixed, man i hate not rolling down my window :cry:

I was a installer for years and I never undid a battery to install speakers! My question is when you took the pannel off to install the speaker, did you unhook the white plug that plugs into the switch, possibly you forgot to reconnect it? Is it just that window through that switch or all windows that switch, all switches??

i didnt take the whole panel off, i just "bent it back" from the bottom, it is just that window all the other windows work just fine, they work from there door and the master panel on the driver door, it is just the drivers window that dosent work, tommrow i have a short day in school so after i get done i will take the panel completly off and see if any wires are disconnected, thanks for all the help so far

A couple of tips, if you´ve not had the panel off before. The arm rest rotates 90 degrees, after removing the screw, for removale. The little clips/hooks behind the drivers window/lock controls (master panel) fall off often (they hold the electrical connector in). The plastic stoppers/anchors that hold the panel on, are best removed one at a time with a large screw driver with tape on the end (there is a special tool for this, that I lost years ago). The plastic wind cover, behind the door panel, is best cut on three sides by the inside door opening and resealed with duct tape.

You said you can hear the motor running.

Therefore, it doesn't sound like an electrical problem. Sounds like a mechanical problem, and I'd check all the linkages, etc. that are related to the window :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

i cant hear the motor trying to move the window, thank god the window was up, it dosent even move up or down, its like the motor or switch dosent work
.....well tommrow if it dosent rain i am taking the door apart....wish me luck, hopefully i can get it back together

Disregard that last post of mine, I guess I can't read. Oh well it was one of those days :roll:

-Nick :!:

Back