97 Cherokee Engine Light

Bishop8pi

Hey, I have a problem with my 1997 Jeep Cherokee 2wd... the transmission went out about a month ago and i had it replaced. Now the check engine light keeps going on and it has no power and wants to stall (feels like it's flooding). I took it back to the place that replaced the transmission and they couldn't find any problems after $125 worth of diagnostics and nor could they find unusual codes in the computer. Would anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Thank you.[addsig]

Check out what I found online:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/04/870416CN.html

It mentions the O2 sensor and I think the Throttle Postion Sensor as well. Sounds like it could be either. I'm pretty sure the TPS is relatively cheap, but the O2 will cost ya. Try replacing the TPS, dissconect your battery then hook it up again. You could also just dissconect the battery and then go up to AutoZon and get thier free diagnostic check on it. See if any new codes pop up. I think you could pick up the TPS there anyway.

This might also be a good time to change out your fuel filter, and check your CCV (the small valves on top of your valve cover).[addsig]

I have had the same problem with a 97 jeep cherokee. What I found was the speedometer gear was chewed up and had to replace the gear. There is also a procedure to do that you count the teeth on the gear and on the housing there are the matching number the number has to be at the 6 oclock position when installing it good luck. The pcm relies alot on the speed sensor so i would start there before spending alot of money on other things. It about drove me crazy diagnosing the ck engine light because it would never show itself. [addsig]

Back