Electrical problems, ignition switch?

woody-wagon

My A/C, turn signals, radio, and windshield wipers all quit working simultaneously. I checked all my fuses and they all are ok. I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L I6. Does anyone know what this is or how I can check my ignition switch?

On my 88 XJ the brown wire, at the plug at the bottom of the steering column, 12 gauge (medium big wire) supplies power to all these items at the fuse box. Turn your key to the run position (or probably the ACC. position) you should have power at the connector on the brown wire. If not, probably a faulty switch or broken wire or burnt contact at the connector.
Your 91 may be different. Check and see if all of your circuit breakers are plugged in all the way. My wife has a nasty habit of kicking the fuse box, the window wiper, circuit breaker, has fallen out on occasion. The 91 may have a circuit breaker for the circuit you mentioned, my 88 only has one for the wipers and the power windows that I´ve found.

As I said in my reply to your other post on this topic... It is important that you check to see if power is present on the wire coming out of the ignition switch that is hot in the ACC and RUN positions. On mine and MudderChuck's 1988 Cherokees, this is a brown wire. Your's may be a different color. Checking this wire will determine whether the ignition switch is the problem or not. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back