90 Jeep Cherokee won't start-HELP!

jhups

HELP!!! It started with what I thought was a dead battery. After I found out that wasn't the problem I changed the alternator. But my Jeep is still having the same problem: sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. When it turns over at all, it turns over very hard and slow.

When I changed the alternator I noticed the voltage regulator was a separate component, not inside the alternator like most cars. DOES ANYONE happen to know if a bad voltage regulator might be the problem? Once the car is jumped, it starts and runs until I turn it off again. If not the voltage regulator, any other ideas? I don't want to keep making pricey mistakes. HELP!!!!!

A new Holley is on the way!

Sounds like a bad battery. Have you popped the caps and checked the water in the battery? It should be up to the bottom of the fill neck in each hole.

New guy here

A new battery was installed just one week prior to the alternator being installed...plus, just to make sure, we had the battery (and new alternator) tested yesterday. They came out fine.

Paragon Runs in Oct?

couple of things to check - do you have full gauges? if so, does the alternator gauge move up after it starts? if so, your alternator/regulator are not the problem. if it is cranking slow, can you jump start it and have it start like normal? if so, its not the starter, if while jumpstarting it, it still cranks slow, it could be a bad starter.. if the bearings inthe starter are wasted, it may not turn like it should/

Cranks sometimes, sometimes not. Cranks slowly. Dirty or corroded, battery cable lugs, at the battery, ground at motor or connections at the starter.
Worn brushes in the starter will cause most of the symptoms you mentioned. A quick test, is to crawl under the passengers side, and notice where the rear of the starter is, keep a hammer handy. The next time it messes up, whack the back of the starter sharply with a hammer. Start? Turns faster?? Probably the brushes, when they wear, they often don´t seat completely. Starter turns over slowly or not at all.
If your alternator says Delco on there or Delco Remey. It most likely has an internal regulator. I can´t ever remember seeing an XJ after 87 that didn´t have the Delco alternator. But I guess it could be a special high AMP job of some type, but likley not Delco.
If you decide on a new starter, don´t give up the old one. Buy a set of brushes and carry it with you when mudding. A spare often comes in handy.

did you check and or replace the cables.If they were overheated or messed up it will mess it up,also might want to check the regulator but it doesnt sound like the problem.I would also check all the grounds .i dont know who out there by you has it but you can have all that checked for around 20 or 30 bucks on a bear machine(checks alt,start,batt,VR,ect.)at sars ,pep boys ect.

Back