New Jeep ... QUESTIONS!!! Please answer!

darwin

Hello there.

I just bought my first car, a 1997 Cherokee Country.

I love the car, but I had a bad experience with a prior Cherokee that I owned for one day. So I guess this makes it my second car.

The first car was a 1997 Cherokee Sport. I bought it at a dealership 50 miles away, and drove it home in the rain, following my dad in his Tahoe. It drove great, and I really enjoyed it.

I got the car home, at about midnight, parked it in the driveway, and went to sleep (In the house of course!). The next morning I get up for work, go and get gas, get on the highway for my 5 mile commute, and the car starts acting extremely strangely. I was going about 55 MPH, at about 2,000 RPM. Everything was going fine but suddenly the RPMs dropped and it started jerking violently. Long story short, the car would gas it quick for half a second, and slowly the next, so on and sofourth. I sent the car back, and cancelled my check.

This new car seems to run great. I love it so far (Only got it yesterday morning), but I have some questions about the Cherokee line so that I'm not paranoid.

Everytime I drive the car, I'm really overly cautious that I'm going to hurt it. I don't accelerate quickly, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm just used to yuppie cars (Mini-Van and the occasional Tahoe drive), and this "rough" feeling is just the way the Cherokee feels? I just don't want to hurt the car.

When I accelerate quickly, sometimes some of the shifts are a bit rough... Not really rough.... Ah I don't know. Like I said, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to really feel the engine while driving.

I also wanted to know if I'll hurt the car by accelerating quickly? I get scared that something will happen to it, because of the last one, and don't like to even accelerate quickly at all. The car has 57,000 miles on it, and is in GREAT condition.

If you have any other questions about the car, or anything else, please reply...

Thanks![addsig]

Can someone please post a reply answering some of these questions?

There's a lot of views for the post, but no one answers![addsig]

Chances are that everything is fine. Every time I buy a used car, the first thing I do is get ALL of the fluids changed. Changing the transmission fluid might get rid of your "rough" problem. But, in my opinion, everything sounds normal. I personally like to feel my motor when I drive. It lets me know everything is O.K. In adition to changing all the fluids, you might want to get an induction service. It cleans the injectors, intake, and valve train.[addsig]

How much is all of that going to cost? Do I need to go back to the dealer...

My airbag light came on too...

I can't get that used car cleaner smell out of it... Yuck.[addsig]

Go back to the dealer for the air bag light....

Any service garage can fix you up ,call around your area as prices are different from place to place.

For the smell,Dry clean it (you can rent cleaners,I believe)

Or you could put Fabric softner sheets in the back and under the seats(I just thought of this)

or you could dry clean it then go over it again with the cleaner with just water and liquid fabric softner(I just thought of this one too
image-missing.png
)I think I will try this last one with my ex's '96 Cherokee(we are still friends,she's my son's mommy)(and she said she still wants me to lift the jeep 2 inches
image-missing.png
)[addsig]

Usually, any shop with a Snap-on (or other) scanner can check the air bag light. As for changing all the fluids... that should be a couple hundred dollars for all of them.[addsig]

Back