Ignition locked... Key won't turn in any direction!

jennylaz

Ok, I drive a 2000 Jeep cherokee. Recently, the key has not been working at times. Sometimes I'll insert the key and the car will start great. But a lot of the time it does not. I put the key it and it will not turn in any directions. I've turned the steering wheel, looked at fuses. I have no idea what's going on. Only 3 years old and I'm having these problems. What the hell could it be? Help!!

I know exactly what you mean.When this happens,turn the wheel side to side and try to start it while your turning the wheel back and forth.

far right is smart, hahaha. yes it may be the lock cylinder. i have a flat bed at my work a 98 chevy 3500HD with the same problem. sometimes its a badly cut key of the key becomes worn in certin parts.
the solution for this, the free way, grab the little key ring that is around the toipo of the key and dont push in just jiggle it and push foward and it will make the key turn, hahaha. it works on my flat bed and its happened on some other friends vechiles try this it works.

could be only one of these.the key is worn or messed up so the lock wont take it,the wheel locking system is messed up or the ignition lock switch is fa-qed.i would just replace the lock and kill 2 birds with one stone

Use WD-40 or tap the end of the key with a rubber mallet. The dealer should give a discount for this problem!

far_right said:
i think you need a new ignition lock cylinder....

Yup. That'd do it. But first try some wd-40 sometimes they get hummed up and need a little help

this isnt a new prob;em within 2 weeks this past summer I had this happen to (and had to replace the key lock for the ignition) on BOTH my Jeeps>>> one a 97 XJ the other a 97 TJ both around 135-140K miles

Back