gear installation

mingez

Okay, I was TOTALLY excited about getting my gears from drivetrain superstores. Then, I found out (unbeknownst to me) that I apparently need an installation kit. Didn't know that.

I get back online to check these kits out, and there are 3 types to choose from. Master install kit, Basic install kit, and minor install kit. (minor being the bare essentials)

What is your opinion on these? If you have installed your own gears, what kit did you use, and did you need everything in there?

Master kit comes with: Complete pinion and differential bearings and races, pinion seal, adjusting shims, crush sleeve or preload shims (as required), pinion nut, ring gear bolts (most applications as required), gasket, locking compound, and pattern checking compound

Basic kit: Complete pinion bearings and races, pinion seal, adjusting shims, crush sleeve or preload shims (as required), pinion nut, ring gear bolts (most applications as required), gasket, locking compound, and pattern checking compound

minor kit: Pinion seal, adjusting shims, crush sleeve or preload shims (as required), and pinion nut - the bare essentials of installation hardware.

Do I need everything in the Master kit, or can I get away with one of the others. The diff in $ is from $59 to $109, and thats for the rear only. Double that for both diff's. :(

TIA, Mingez

Man that so suck's! I hate it for you but when was there ever a Jeep up grade project that went all warm and fuzzy? I mean I had no heat so I think all I need is a heater core. New Radiator, hoses, thermostat, blower motor and several hours of labor later I have heat. I know nothing about differential improvement other than you get someone to do it for you unless you are real good. I also know it is usually cheaper to go out to the junk yards and off road shops and search for diffs with your gearing choices to just do a swap out. Best of luck to you man and I hope I can gain knowledge from your experence. Take a lot of pics and do a wright up for us. later tug

from lookin at it at a parts business stance, if you have the cash go with the master kit, b/c you dont want to have to open it back up later, but if you are tight on cash atleast use the basic kit

If it's a high mileage axle you may want the better kits that replace the bearings. Otherwise, just get the basic kit.

thanks guys, I ended up getting the Master kit for the back and the Basic for the d30 up front. Ughhh. I guess I'll just have to buy some damn lockers while I'm at it, since I'll already be in the diffs. No sense in opening them up twice. :?

With my luck, there'll be a master install kit for the lockers too. :roll:
Or a master install kit for my master install kit. :)

Any opinions on locker brand names/types? I'll do a search, but I appreciate any new input. Lockright vs. Detroit. Posi vs. lockers.

Back