XJ AND GRAND CHEROKEE COMPARISON

moridgerunner67

I would like some “ objective opinions “ about the good and bad of XJ Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee for off road use. Such as lift kits, transmissions, transfer cases, front and rear axle types, ride quality, durability, anything that you might think relevant . Some years better than others??

Bill
Moridgerunner67@earthlink.net

The Cherokee is cheaper and easier to lift than the Grand Cherokee, for the simple fact that leaf springs are cheaper lifts than coil setups, and easier to install.

Avoid the Dana44 rear axle in the Grand Cherokee, it has the aluminum center section that is prone to bending and noisy R&P.

'94 to '96 is a good year range for the Cherokee (XJ):
  • External clutch slave, lasts longer and can be replaced without removing the transmission
    High Output 4.0L compared to less powerful previous models
    Can lift higher without driveline vibes than the '97+ model
    '95+ has the stronger 297x front axle ujoints

The Cherokee's (XJ) narrower body is a lot easier to navigate tight trails with than the Grand Cherokee (ZJ and WJ).

Most XJ tow packages have the strong 8.25" rear axle, receiver, and transmission cooler.

79 CJ7 FOR SALE

I was looking at the recall list for the Grand (entire production run) and the XJ (pre96). The grand list was at least, triple what the XJ list was, prior to the 96 model change. Approximately five years for the Grand, 10 years for the XJ. If you compare the 91-95 XJ´s to the Grand, the difference in the recall list is astounding. Either Mopar really intensified the recall procedures or the Mopar missed the mark a bit, when building the Grand.

the grand may be harder to lift but there's no comparison to the ride..... you don't even feel most of the bumps in the road. the XJ is a little smaller, not by much, so i dont think thats gonna matter much on the trail. Its definitely cheaper to own an XJ but i'll keep my ZJ and be very happy.. the ZJ has more flex stock than the XJ because of the rear coils. Both are equally capable off-road.

the XJ is way smaller- sorry grae wolf... the ird is quite a bit bumpy but i like it.. it handles like a real truck... its not uncomfortable or anything.. XJ's are good fix it yourself vehicles... u can put in almost all you mods in without even being a highly skilled mechanic

as far as offroading, XJ/s are narrower, and not as long... they the smallest wheel wells of all the jeeps, but u can either get a lift or trim to fix that

well if you guys favor the rear coils on the ZJ then buy that tera flex lift that turns the rear XJ axle into a coil sprung with uppers and lowers.

re

The Grand will flex better with 4xcoils, but I think they're a little loose on the road, seem jittery and tipsy, but that's just the few I've rode in.

The XJ's a good compromise between the manueverability of a SWB and the grocery capacity of the Grand or larger SUV.

I have one of each. A '95 ZJ and a '95 XJ.
Love them both-- take in consideration what kind of driving you'll be
doing. I take both off-road, both do excellent. As was mentioned above
the ZJ does have more stock articulation than the XJ, so it's a little more
versitile on the trails.
The ZJ is also a lot heavier, so it's got a way smoother ride on and off road.
I love them both though--- so, hell i can't decide which I like more!! :lol:
--Neal

Cherokee_MZ said:
the XJ is way smaller- sorry grae wolf... the ird is quite a bit bumpy but i like it.. it handles like a real truck... its not uncomfortable or anything.. XJ's are good fix it yourself vehicles... u can put in almost all you mods in without even being a highly skilled mechanic

as far as offroading, XJ/s are narrower, and not as long... they the smallest wheel wells of all the jeeps, but u can either get a lift or trim to fix that

i guess it depends on the year then.. i have a friend with a 99 XJ.. its about 6" shorter and about the same narrower than my 95 ZJ... not too much lighter either according to the owners manual. couple hundred pounds is all. Either way they are about the same to work on... the only real difference between the 2 is the interior and the rear suspension. otherwise they are very similar mechanically. if you're looking for a trail rig, the xj is definitely cheaper, the ZJ is better if its your daily driver.

Bounty__Hunter said:
The Grand will flex better with 4xcoils, but I think they're a little loose on the road, seem jittery and tipsy, but that's just the few I've rode in.

The XJ's a good compromise between the manueverability of a SWB and the grocery capacity of the Grand or larger SUV.

if the front sway bar is loose they will do that.. mine is still pretty tight and hardly rolls at all around corners. the tires mane a big difference.. most who buy the grand put street tires on them, which flex a whole lot more.

My '95 XJ does very well on and off road, excluding that my speedometer is off because of the new tires (31 x 10.50), as far as the Grand Cherokee is concerned, I have no idea how they do off-road...graewulf is one of the first people I've seen take one off road...but they are great on-road for sure. I would sway towards the XJ, but thats partially because I have one, and my brother has had 2 more...and they were all good.

You know.......
The more I think about these two Jeeps, the more I like the XJ.
A littel tougher looking too. My 2 cents.....
Neal

4wheelNeal said:
You know.......
The more I think about these two Jeeps, the more I like the XJ.
A littel tougher looking too. My 2 cents.....
Neal

An XJ tougher lookin' Cut me a break...

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

The older XJs certainly look tougher than the post '97 XJs...
and the older Grand Cherokees look tougher than the current Grand Cherokees. I won't however, compare the two in "toughness" because it all depends on what you do with them.... looks alone don't make the Jeep :mrgreen:

... But of course I favor the XJ :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

XJNick said:
The older XJs certainly look tougher than the post '97 XJs...
and the older Grand Cherokees look tougher than the current Grand Cherokees. I won't however, compare the two in "toughness" because it all depends on what you do with them.... looks alone don't make the Jeep :mrgreen:

... But of course I favor the XJ :mrgreen:

looks alone don’t make the Jeep-

I realize that…Just havin’ a little fun with my first post…I currently own a ’95 ZJ with a 3.5 Tera lift & ¾ Daystar’s and lots of other mods. My previously owned Jeep roster includes a ‘74 CJ5, ‘76 CJ7, ’84 XJ, ’90 XJ Laredo. I prefer my ZJ over the XJ’s because of the killer flex I get from the coils. It is also my daily driver so creature comforts are also a factor. The ZJ performs just as well offroad as the XJ’s if not better. I think both models are GREAT though.

-Sudz

image-missing.png

Oops, I forgot to say welcome to Jeepz.com :mrgreen:

Wow, that antenna on the ZJ looks quite annoying....and I think he was talking about stock, the ZJ's are made mainly for on-road when stock.

Annihlator95 said:
Wow, that antenna on the ZJ looks quite annoying....and I think he was talking about stock, the ZJ's are made mainly for on-road when stock.

really.... i think i can prove that theory wrong.... :wink: i'm stock (just have sway bar discos) and i bet i'll get that ZJ places you would never think it'd go.

If I were going to buy another jeep it would be an XJ over a grand cherokee. In my opinion it looks meaner, and it's cheaper to work on (lift that is). The Grand just reminds me of a "road jeep" even though I hear it's more capable than it seems, it's all the Creature comforts it has as someone else mentioned. There must be a reason you see more XJs offroad than ZJs!

Back