Code 43..what is it?

blackjeep

My '96 ZJ 4.0 has been having stalling /starting problems for two weeks now...I have replaced every sensor I can think of, plug wires, plugs, distr. cap, rotor, ignition coil etc...today it stalled in the middle of an intersection, I almost got hit!!! :shock: ..cranked in about 60 seconds..this is horrible, I am sick of this crap. Anyway, I got a code 43 on the dash..book says misfire, but what is causing the misfire??

Help??? Anyone?

Thanks in advance guys..I am sooo sick of this.

Mike

Hi,

I believe 43 refers to either a misfire on cylinders 5-6 or a fault in the ignition module/coil.

However, It sounds to me like code "43" is a code you pulled from the onboard code reader (on the dash)? If so, I'd suggest going and having an OBD-II scanner put on the Jeep.... a scanner will usually give more detailed or more precise info since it can report over 1000 error codes, verses like 30. A typical OBD-II error code would look something like "P1373" or "B0155" or such...

I think Autozone does free OBD-II scanning. :mrgreen:
-Nick :!:

Nick,
I have had the OBII test done five times...nadda. Nothing.

I just replaced the coil..MSD coil and Magnecor wires with brand NEW Autolite plugs..

New: TPS,IAC,CPS,O2 sensor,fuel filter, dist cap rotor, plugs ,wires, staor under dist cap, new fuel pump relay..just checked fuel pressure 42 lbs. and 50 lbs. when jeep is running....new coolant sensor, new serpentine belt, new idler pulleys, new 180* thermostat, TB cleaned, fuses pulled and checked, wires pulled and checked, NEW Optima battery...hells bells, I have replcaed everything except the PCM and alternator!!! :x :x :x

I don't know what else to do...I checked the cat and exhaust checked the wires and vacuum hoses...I am lost.

BTW..with the new Magnecor wires and MSD...it runs MUCH smoother through the powerband..it still idles below OME specs but runs great when it does'nt stall like it did tonihgt at a redlight :x

I have the Fastman TB and FIPK cpoming tomorrow...I need to get this resolved so I can enjoy the new power coming my way.

No codes since I cleared them last night...only a 12 & 55..but it will burble after riding for 10-15 miles..then stall..re-crank and we're off again..the rough idle is not going away either...it's not a bad rough just a belowe OME spec idle that sounds "gurgly"...I am sooooooooo over this crap now...I do not want to take it in.

Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time.
(If 'check engine' lamp was not activated)

Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)
(If 'check engine' lamp was activated)

Bounty__Hunter said:
Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time.
(If 'check engine' lamp was not activated)

Good Call Bounty, I forgot about that code having a double meaning, dependant on CEL on or off.

Peak primary current would have to do with the ignition coil...
The "primary current" should refer to the Output of the ignition coil, as a step-up transformer is usually Input = secondary and Output = Primary.

However, you have a new coil. So the two possibilities would be either a bad coil, Issues in the power source to the coil, or a coil that is not being told what to do properly. The latter could be caused by the Ignition module acting up which could be caused by the PCM acting up which could be caused by sensors acting up...

Have you checked that CAM position sensor inside the distributor? At this point it is sounding like a Timing issue, either mechanically or electronically. It sounds as though the spark is occuring too fast or at the wrong time, thus the ignition coil can't produce enough current fast enough to properly fire a given spark plug, which would cause stumbling or stalling if the spark becomes too weak... Just a theory, hope it makes sense to you :mrgreen:

Nope on the ignition coil...ook the BRAND replacement coil off and put the MSD on. Same reaction...put the BRAND new ignition coil back on still rough..put the MSD back on. Pulled TB off and re-cleaned it. Then re-checked fuel pressure 42 lbs when ignition turned on..then 50 lbs. when cranked and running. I'm thinking PCM at this point...I cranked it up this morning got to the end of my dtreet and it stalled...cranked back up and ran all day with no affects...got to my home street and bwaaa..it stalled breifly but remained running.

I have no clue as to what could be happening...it runs great 95% of the time...the massive backfire happened yesterday, but not today...it ran great most of the day..it's little rough at idle but other than that...nadda. Went back to Autozone this afternoon...nadda on the OBDII....zip, nothing.

What in the world could it be? Can I take the camshaft sensor out without screwing up the timing??? If so, I will pull it off and clean it...what do you think?

I believe you have to pull the inner distributor as the cam sensor is wrapped around the shaft...

I don't have any advice on the actual process though, since I've not had one go bad yet :mrgreen:

Bounty__Hunter said:
Guess we make a decent team, I knew what to post and you knew how to translate it into english :lol:

Did I do that :p
image-missing.png

Back