Wire on 89 XJ

KellenNold

Hey everyone.
My 89 Cherokee Laredo, I6, 4Dr, 4X4, has a red wire that is just sitting in the engine compartment. It is located under the coolant pressure bottle on the passenger side towards the rear of the vehicle. There is also a black wire that comes out with it, that is plugged in that runs the length of the passenger side towards the front of the car. Looked, but couldn't locate where the red one plugged into. Anyone know what this is for and where it plugs into. Currently my cruise control doesn't work, so I pray this is for that. Also anyone know any trusting mechanics in Seattle?
This site is great and thank you for the help

Hi,

Don't mean to offend, but are you sure it's a wire? I ask this because there are some colored Vacuum lines that run in that area... a RED vacuum line is the supply line for the 4x4 system.... But also could affect the cruise control if it is disconnected and is causing a vacuum leak. This is because the cruise control servo uses vacuum...

But if it's a wire, it could be for a number of things... maybe you could take a digital photo of it?

Does your heater/ A/C blower fan work? It could be for that too...

-Nick :!:

Got Em

Nick you are right. It is a vacuum line, but someone shoved a nail into the end of the vacuum and it looked like a wire. Can't complain, free car from parents. So does this help with identification? Will have pics up in a few minutes. Let me know what else you think.

Thanks,

Kellen

Nice Pic... but I could only see it full-size once I manually put the full image URL in my browser.

Ok, so you're talking about the vacuum line that is resting on the two yellow rubber plugs in the picture.. Right? If so, this is the vacuum line for you Heater Valve... basically it is meant to hook to the water valve for the heater. This valve shuts to prevent water form entering the core when the heater is "off".

So I'm guessing your heater doesn't work? Anyways, It's hard to see in your picture whether your heater valve is intact or missing...

You see in your picture the black hose that runs horizontally, just above the Oil Dip Stick? Well, look in that general area right there and you should see another black heater (antifreeze) hose.. that other hose should have a metal cylinder looking thing attached inline on it... this is your heater valve. That Vacuum line we are talking about needs to be plugged into the little port on the end of the heater valve cylinder...

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

tire cover

I took another picture. Let me know if the answers stay the same or change. Also please be specific as I don't know much about cars. The website is http://www.geocities.com/kellen_nold/mypage.html Thanks, Kellen Nold

Oh yeah, Nic, the heat works fine, just the Cruise control and AC (needs recharge) don't work.

Possibly for source vacuum from the intake? I know the source vacuum for the 4wd disconnect on the front axle is a red vacuum line, and the lines from the transfer case to the front axle are black.

Well the 4 wheel drive engages and disengages fine. Also the other vacuum that comes out from same place (passenger side firewall, high up) leads to the front and disappears near the radiator. Also the tube is only like 1/8th (1/4 at most) of an inch in diameter. Let me know what I can do to help with describing this more. Again, heater works fine, just ac and cruise control

Now it's the hose with the tag on it? If so...

Yes my answer stays the same.
That hose IS for your heater valve... as mine looks EXACTLY identical.
If it isn't connected to anything, then the only way your heater could work is if:

1) the heater valve has been forced or stuck open -or-
2) the heater valve was completely removed, thus antifreeze and water are always going to be running through the heater core...

I will go take a picture of a heater valve so you can tell me if you have one or not...

Here's some pics of what a Heater valve looks like:

hvalve1-2.jpg

hvalve2-2.jpg

In the second picture above, the arrows mean the following:

Yellow arrow: Hose attaches to Coolant reservoir
Red arrow: Hose attaches to the heater core port which stick out of the firewall
Green arrow: Hose runs paralell to the engine, at the front of the engine it attaches to the thermostat housing (next to the other Big coolant water hose).

Basically, All you need to do at this point is identify whether you have a heater valve or not (look for it in the general area of YOUR photo). If you do, plug that vacuum hose onto the little port you see on the valve (look at the pics). If you don't have a valve, say so and I can help you add one...

Hey, I just checked and there seems to be the right connection there but that metal cannister isn't there, just the 3 way metal connector. Is that what the heater valve is?? I guess so. I will place a picture of what I found on my the above link. Here come the questions.

Why would that be taken off?
Could that damage my car?
Since my heater worked fine, what should I check to make sure that something wasn't "stuck open" or jimmied?
How much do these cost? and do I need one?
Also what/why does the other black vacuum tube run to the front?(what is it)
Thanks for the help.

KellenNold said:
Why would that be taken off?
Could that damage my car?
Since my heater worked fine, what should I check to make sure that something wasn't "stuck open" or jimmied?
How much do these cost? and do I need one?
Also what/why does the other black vacuum tube run to the front?(what is it)
Thanks for the help.

Here's anwsers to your questions:
1) Have no clue... Some people do strange things, or maybe it went bad and they had no money to fix it.
2) Your heater may work fine, but there really does need to be a heater valve there
3) they cost like $20.00 or less at autozone or similar store, yes you really should have one.
4) The other black vacuum tube is the SOURCE vacuum for the entire A/C Heating system... it runs to the front bumper because that is where the vacuum reservoir is

I keep saying you really should have a heater valve for the following reasons: 1) there is no need to pump HOT liquid into the heater core when you are using the A/C. Especially since it can cause the A/C to be less efficient. 2) Your jeep's cooling system may not work as good during the summer months because the coolant is circulating farther than it needs to. 3) Don't you get a good feeling when you know that everything on your Jeep is working as designed?

I vote that you go get a valve... they are cheap and easy to install

:mrgreen:

I'll be picking one up tomorrow. Anything special I need to know to install it, as I imagine it is just a slip off/slip on job. But does anything need to be drained or under pressure? Thanks so much for everyones help.

Rock Crawler

Hi,

You'll either need to drain the cooling system some, Or pinch the hoses while changing it so they don't leak coolant.

If you choose to drain the cooling system, the "drain Plug" is on the passenger side of the radiator... near the bottom. you either have to reach up through the bumper or remove the front turn signal to get to it. However, I've found the BEST drain plug on a jeep cooling system is removing the hose from the water pump and letting it all drain out there.

After draining the system, it's a simple swap. The old one goes in just as shown in my pictures, all hoses should line up properly.

Regardless if you drain the entire system or not, you could get an air bubble trapped in the heater core. To prevent this it is best to refill the cooling system through the upper radiator hose (that's right, just remove it and pour it all in :mrgreen:). Then be sure you run the Jeep with the heater ON so as coolant will begin to circulate through the system. Also parking on an incline sometimes helps remove air. NOTE: it can take some time for everything to begin circulating properly. Be paitent and don't allow it to overheat...

You may have to do a series of: fill system some, run Jeep until it begins to overheat, shut off jeep, fill system some more, run Jeep, repeat... until all coolant is back into the system and flowing properly.

It really is Easier than it sounds. Have fun :mrgreen:

has anyone ever ..........

Allright, I got a heater valve. Now come more questions.
Do I need to drain or depressurize something so the coolant doesn't come out?
Also the arrow that came with the valve points to the firewall (to the heater core) and the other two go to the bottom of the coolant reservoir (not the side right?) and the other to the front to the thermostat housing.

Also to be sure this thing is working right, it should be closed when the heater is being ran right?

Now no more questions, except for my other post.

Thanks again

The valve is OPEN when the climate control switch is in VENT, HEAT, DEF positions. and the valve is CLOSED when the climate control switch is in OFF, MAX, NORM, BI-LEVEL positions.

There is some pressure in the cooling system, open it slowly... not much pressure though. Never open the cooling system when it is still hot, unless you cover the lid with a towel while opening it to prevent hot spray.

Back