Fluid, Amounts and changing intervals

KellenNold

Hello,

Car didn't come with manual and have been hunting on internet, but to no avail.
I wanted to change out the differentials, transfer case, coolant and ATF on my 89 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4, I6. What is the recommended change intervals for each and the fill amounts. Also any recommendations for what to use (car has 130,000 miles). Thought I read in a forum that someone recommended Dexron III for t-case.

Thanks

Kellen

Go pick yourself up a Haynes or Chilton manual at a parts store. They're only about 10 bucks and are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks, I own one. All it says is to fill up with specified lubricant. For transfer case I am sure it is ATF, but would like to know if there is a preferred type and also the quantity to put in.

Thanks,

Kellen

I would look this up for you but I don't have my manual here. The info is in there, at least in my Haynes. The section with the instructions on how to actually do the fluid change doesn't have the fluid type and quantity information, but there should be another section with all the number specific stuff like capacities, fluid grades, spark plug ratings, bore and stroke, etc. I think its the first chapter of the book.

both differentials and your manual transmission (if you have a manual...) use 75W-90 gear oil. just drain it and fill it up til it comes out of the hole. the differentials probably won't have drain holes though... so you'll need a small hand pump to get the oil out. and yes... you use ATF for the t-case... mercon/dexron III. good luck!

Back