diesel xj

fr8dog

does anyone have a cherokee with the 2.1turbo diesel engine ? they were made 86-88, i own one and would like to get in touch with anyone who has any knowledge and or experience with this engine to share maintenance issues.

they put a diesel in a cherokee? wow, thats awesome lol...does it run strong...considering its a 2.1?

doesn't have the power of the 4.0 but it has great torque and excellent gas mileage 34..38 mpg. easy to live with a little less power when filling up!

they were made 86-88 in toledo as an optional engine unfortunately they no longer built those, the engine was a renault turbodiesel, jeep was owned by AMC then which was part of the Renault group.

ohhhhhhh if jeep ever put a cummins into ther jeeps it would be mean as hell...... they might have to trim down the weight tho

I got into an discussion with a friend about the diesel Xjs.
He admits that they exist, but he says they were only sold overseas.
From reading these post, it looks different.
Were they built for export only or were they sold in the US also?

:?:

Hi,

They were built for the US with a turbo diesel option for a short while.
However, some were built as diesels for export too, I believe for a longer time.

-Nick :!:

Over in europe, you can get a 3.4(I think might be 3.7) liter deisel in the KJ and TJ models. I have also saw a deisel YJ a couple years back down in south america.

Back