5.2 V8 upgrades

Hi,

For starters you could get a new computer keyboard :mrgreen:... Ok I'm sorry, couldn't resist :p

My first question is why? Why be concerned with performance if you haven't driven the Jeep yet to see how it handles? My suggestion would be to get the Jeep, drive it for a while, and then decide if it is worth wasting .. I mean.. spending money on performance upgrades.

Just remember, a Jeep is a Jeep, not a sports car. A V8 engine in a Jeep in my opinion is already sufficient if not leaning towards overkill. I own 2 Jeeps with the AMC/Chrysler Inline 6 engine, and I find they both have plenty of power to get me where I need to go :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

well i've driven a 5.2 before, and whiel it was much faster than my 4.0, i still want to get as much out of it as i can. i hate my 4.0 hell, i lose races to civics with it :x it already has a hollowed cat and flowmaster muffler. i was thinking of getting a K&N FIPK, and maybe a JET chip.

Saleen4971 said:
i lose races to civics with it :x

Hmmm.... Jeep Racing :| :? Enough Said...

Saleen4971 said:
it already has a hollowed cat

Keep in mind that too little back pressure can damage your valves. Also, the Catalytic converter is there for a Good reason.

Anyways, I'll shut up in this thread now, as I don't feel I can be of much help if your trying to make your Jeep a speed machine or a civic or whatever. As I said before, I can't understand why... but anyways, Good luck.

why bother posting if your gonna be an ass about it?
the car passes emmisions w/o a cat, and runs fine.

sorry if what i do with my jeep is different from what you do. apparently everybody should follow in your footsteps

ahhhhh the 5.2 should be enough power. if your looking to build a preformance vehicle, i wouldnt go with a jeep. they werent ment to be used at race cars but if thats what you like that go for it. as for the 4.0 hell i had a 4.0 HO in my XJ and it was awsome, i never had a problem with power and it could allwys keep up with the civics.

well the previous owner neglected my 4.0, so its not running up to par. i dont usually race, but when the opportunity arises, i dont hesitate. im mostly looking for something to up the power a little. bolt on mods, nothing drastic.

oh not really too familiar with the 318 engine but i do know that there are alot of performance mods for it, i would becarfull racing a jeep tho

Twisted the Jeep

wow, jeep racing, i would never dream of that, especially since i have a little 2.5 - 4 banger in mine, but still it doesnt handle well enough to race. Maybe my Z, but not my jeep

Hi,

My posts in this thread are my opinion. That's all. I'm sorry if you feel I came across too opinionated, but please understand this: I would NEVER come on this board to be an a$$ to someone. It would be a complete waste of my time and provide no substance to this forum. I really didn't mean to be rude, I've been out working on my cherokee all day and must just be tired...

I posted in this thread because as moderator of this forum I feel it is important to attempt to help and/or share advice with everyone. My advise was to not spend all you money on trying to make your Jeep a very fast vehicle because it was never designed to be good at that. If you disagree, that's your right.

Good Luck (and I mean that sincerly) on your Jeep project. :mrgreen:

Saleen,
You misinterpreted Nicks tone. He's very helpful and knowledgable. It's just that most people on this site are of the offroad variety. And to many of us, racing a Jeep is like offroading a Corvette... but to each his own. This website has room for everyone and we are happy to have you! Besides, power and torque are important on or off the paved road. So stay on, continue to share your knowledge and thoughts, and keep in mind that we are all here to help.

As for the 4.0 engines, they are torque monsters. When stock, with stock tires, I used to beat Euros all of the time. Remember, efficiency is just as valuable as engine size.

Now, about your v8...If you run a search, I recall someone talking about how much a ripoff the jet chips were. I can't remember who. But like any mod, it may cause your engine to run differently than intended and shorten it's life span. It seems most people are happy with the K and N FIPK. I don't personally have one, but the only issue I've heard is foriegn matter (mud, dirt) inhibiting the filter and airflow due to it being a cone filter and not in a protective box. But, since you are usually on the road, seems like a great upgrade.

Also, there is a question as to wether or not they filter well when clean. Athough, I've heard you only get around 6-10 hp. The deal is to remember that you have to upgrade both ends, intake to exhaust.

Check this link out concerning K & N: http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Air_filter.htm

Try the search. Welcome aboard! :wink:

XJNick said:
My first question is why? Why be concerned with performance if you haven't driven the Jeep yet to see how it handles? My suggestion would be to get the Jeep, drive it for a while, and then decide if it is worth wasting .. I mean.. spending money on performance upgrades.

i agree with nick, i recently bought a 96 grand 5.2 v8. what you want to do with your jeep is completely up to you. but i have found in the short time that i have owned it that the v8 is more than sufficient. and if you do decide that you'd like to put some mods in, wait a bit, the car i'm sure will set you back for a little while, take nick's advice and drive it, then figure out exactly what you want to do with it.

ps - on a side-note, is racing a civic even worth doing? dont get me wrong, before my jeep, i owned an accord, hondas are great cars, great on gas, and good commuter cars. easy maintenance, and relatively trouble free. they are not race cars, mine got me from point a to point b and that was that. when i wanted to race, i'd use my dad's 68 camaro SS :wink: now there's a car for stomping civics! good luck with your jeep though.

3.5 BDS YJ lift with Military wrapped eye holes

[/quote] when i wanted to race, i'd use my dad's 68 camaro SS :wink: now there's a car for stomping civics!

hey does dad want to sell the camaro? whats in it? big block? rat motor? i want a 69 so bad,, i have a built SBC 327 thats waiting to tear things up....

when i wanted to race, i'd use my dad's 68 camaro SS :wink: now there's a car for stomping civics!

hey does dad want to sell the camaro? whats in it? big block? rat motor? i want a 69 so bad,, i have a built SBC 327 thats waiting to tear things up....[/quote]

hehe, well dad has claimed he wants to be buried in it. not that i want it to happen anytime soon, but i hope he'll reconsider and leave it to me :wink: its got a 350 in it. and it is his baby, drives it all summer long, and puts it up in my grandfathers hanger for the winters, that baby doesnt see rain or snow. good luck in your search though, if i werent a college student and had time and money, i would have bought something similar to fix up, i hope to once i graduate, but for now, i like my jeep. course thats all i need, a jeep AND a 68 SS to sink my money into. :shock:

ive a 4.0 with no mods and i can beat rice burners so maybe you just suck at pushing the gas to the floor at the right time... and that 4.0 has a lot of speed... why don't you get a lowering kit and some NOs, that way you can race in the desert

kook

Cherokee_MZ said:
ive a 4.0 with no mods and i can beat rice burners so maybe you just suck at pushing the gas to the floor at the right time... and that 4.0 has a lot of speed... why don't you get a lowering kit and some NOs, that way you can race in the desert

kook

haha yeah i started thinking about that, my 5.2 does pretty well off the line, cant say that i race civics on a regular basis, but i kinda doubt they'd beat me initially.

Fuel guage short???

Cherokee_MZ said:

kook

Now now... play nice fellas. :?

<Moderator Voice>

Ok, This thread is getting old... Please, unless you've got some more info for the original poster, let's end the name-calling, etc.

Thanks 8)

</Moderator Voice>

:mrgreen:

Back