MUDDY ALTERNATOR

hatemaker22

a few Cherokee Parts for sale...

I have just replaced my 3rd alternator on my 88 cherokee. The reason for all this work is simple, the cherokee engineers had a stupid idea to put the alternator on the bottom of the engine, so everytime i go thru thick mud, i kill the alternator. Is there anykind of aftermarket guard to keep mud out of the alternator, or the engine compartment in general?

Why would they be telling you that?

prolly could rig up some kind of sheet metal skid type thing for it. just cover it up best you can...ya know..just a thought

Most times I´ve had mine full of mud, a good cleaning with a high pressure cleaner, has got it to function again. Most times it´s just mud under the brushes and a good cleaning will allow it to charge again.
I´ve got a mud shield (rubber) under the front, that keeps the majority of the crude, off of the front of the motor. This summer I´m gonna take a piece of cardboard, make a pattern and cut a piece of sheet steal to cover as much as possible. Make one a little longer (that goes as far rearwords as possible) and hope it doesn´t cut off so much air flow, it causes me overheating problems.
Your right about the alternator location being silly for a Jeep.

Back