Automatic locker in front axle?

bucholzi

Hi,
I want to upgrade my XJ with lockers (today it is stock with trac-lock limited slip, and I'm not happy with it at all.) and I was wondering about automatic lockers like powertrax lockright no-slip or aussie locker. In the back axle I reckon they will work just fine, but what about the front? Anyone know how they may affect driving on slippery surfaces, I don't want to crash straight out of a tight corner due to a wee bit to high speed? :p

I've heard that full-time 4wd vehicles can't use auto lockers in front (on-road at least) due to windup in drivetrain, but does this also apply to the full-time mode on the selec-trac transfer-case which has a open differential? I frequently use it when conditions range from dry tarmac to ice/snow behind the next corner, so if full-time mode is a no-no on-road with auto locker then I will need to lock at manual lockers (but they are so expensive.. :cry: )

Auto locker is fine in the front of both the CommandTrac and SelecTrac jeeps, no binding issues with the full-time 4wd.

Back