HID conversion

Hi,

You didn't define what HID stands for... but being the electrically inclined person I am, I'll assume you are asking about High Intensity Discharge lamps for your headlamps?

If so, I'll say No, since I don't know of any conversion kits either. Now, I've not owned a vehicle with HID headlamps yet, but after seeing others, I have a mixed impression of them.

I like them due to their energy efficiency and cooler color temperature (probably close to 5000 degrees Kelvin).

On the other hand, as with all HID lamp systems, I doubt they come on at full intensity instantly, and I always get blinded by them when other cars pass by who have them. This seems to be mostly due to people having them misadjusted, or their brights on, though :roll:

-Nick :!:

XJNick said:
Hi,

You didn't define what HID stands for... but being the electrically inclined person I am, I'll assume you are asking about High Intensity Discharge lamps for your headlamps?

If so, I'll say No, since I don't know of any conversion kits either. Now, I've not owned a vehicle with HID headlamps yet, but after seeing others, I have a mixed impression of them.

I like them due to their energy efficiency and cooler color temperature (probably close to 5000 degrees Kelvin).

On the other hand, as with all HID lamp systems, I doubt they come on at full intensity instantly, and I always get blinded by them when other cars pass by who have them. This seems to be mostly due to people having them misadjusted, or their brights on, though :roll:

Yep I forgot to add lights after HID good call and I'm not real sure about them too. But I'd like to see them on a Cherokee and feel it out after I saw them.

i wanted them...but i seen the cheaper way out..H3 bulb conversion. take a look at them..they realy bright and cheaper than HID. just a thought

There are two ways to go about this. A conversion kit is sold through sylvania, and is available through performanceparts and quadratec. the easier way out and cheaper, hang out at the local scrap yards and when a vehicle comes in that is in rough shape, see if the HID moduals are salvagable. get the moduals and the pigtails and the bulb. the bulb probably won't fit, but get in touch with sylvainia and purchase there HID bulb, cut and splice on a new pigtail to match the bulb and then get a new, glass lens that accepts the H3 bulbs (9007 i think is the #)

Or just get the HID knock offs like I have and call it a day!!

Hi,

Just note that ANY type of HID lamp system will consist of the lamps and a ballast to drive them. Don't attempt to power the lamps off of 12 volts unless they happen to be self-ballasted lamps (which is Very unlikely).

H3 is going to be a Halogen technology. The only real difference between them and regular halogens is the lumen output and color temperature. If your going to spend the money, HID probably would be more worth it. :mrgreen:

Also, just as a personal opinion... I'd stay far away from Sylvania products. I've had way too many problems with their fluorescent products, and feel that their products in general are of poorer quality than competitors'. Otherwise I'd hope that their automotive lighting products are made better... :roll:

Back