Rusty's 3" lift - Add A Leaf kit vs Full Spring kit

killerb7854

My 91 xj is in need of new shocks all around and the rear is saggin like crazy. Since I'm gonna be pulling the suspension all apart I figured it would be an ideal time for a lift! I have decided to go 3". I like rustys kits because they come with shocks but I'm not sure If I want the aal or the spring pack. I like the aal because of the price diff but my rear leaf spring's are no good. I was thnking on buying all new oem leafs and then the aal kit. Even after I buy the new leaf's the cost will be about a $100 less than the spring kit. Is this a good idea or should I just go with the already beefy springs in the kit???

Another question I have is the t case drop. I have read That I dont need to with a 3" lift but the kit is rather cheap. I read a posting saying someone had binding u joints on a 3" lift but that was a newer xj. I'm not sure how hard this job is or if I would gain anything from it so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Link to rustys
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...GY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

i put the complete rear spring pack on my XJ and LOVED it! don't settle for the AAL or any combination thereof, you'll regret it in the long run... because it WILL sag in the long run... if its worth doin; its worth doing right!

-nate

Add a leafs cause a lot of problems and are nothing more than a patch or quick fix. Replace the leafs completely and fix the problem right the first time. If you want to lift it go for it. The Rusty's kit looks like it is nice and a lot of people on the board have it and can lead you better on it than I can. I went with Old Man EMU springs when I did mine.
I dont believe you need to drop the t-case with a 3" lift. I put on a 3.5" and didn't have to do anything to mine other than shackle the real of the leafs to get the diff pointed back up at the t-case. I did stretch out the suspension using a jack and jack stands to make sure the driveshaft would stay in place and there was a lot of room.

yeah, my rustys' kit was all inclusive. i didn't need a tcase drop or anything... just the springs and shocks. it came with rear brakeline extensions, but i didn't even need them! i didn't shackle my rear springs, but it sounds like it'd be a good idea... the rear driveshaft was a little sketchy, but i drove it fine like that for 5k miles +.

starting problems, possible neutral saftey switch?

Alrighty so I'm scrapping the idea of using the aal's and I think I'm gonna go with the all new raised springs. I might as well just do it right the first time. As far as the t case goes I guess there is no point in it right now but I am interested in maby putting some shackle's on the back of the leafs. I took a look at rustys and they have .75" extended and 1.5" extended shackles. Witch one's should I get?

I used 1.5" shackles when I had the 3.5" springs. That lined everything up really nicely. No binding or vibration from anything in the rear end.

Hi,

I agree with the others... If your already spending the time to take stuff apart, do it right the first time (by using fully new springs) and the job will last much longer. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

You won't need the TC drop, it's only required on '97+ XJ's with that much lift. You can go up to about 4" or 4.5" on a pre-'97 without it.

Good choice on the full spring pack. You may be able to find lowering shackles for full-size GM trucks that will lift your XJ for less $$. I used MJ shackles that were 1" longer than XJ.

I just installed the Rusty's 3" last month and was very happy. I did use the aal's and they were very easy to install. The only drawback to the Rusty's was the retarded rear brake line extension they send you. In order to install it, you basically have to stretch and bend the heck out of your steel line on your frame and there was no slot in the hole where your steel line was to ride(they told me if I wanted to I could cut one, so that the factory clip would fit) I did not use that and I just bought a new line for a 95 Wrangler which is about 3 inches longer and installed that. Also be ready to check and replace any upper or lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and steering stabilizer as well. After my lift was installed my rig drove really nice, I could not be more pleased.

shackles can snap purty darn easily, so unless you need them to line all ur stuff up, if do without them---they create a weak point

I did the 3.5" add-a-leaf's...and if you look at my website on my info, you can tell on the second page that the rear is sagging pretty badly...so now I have to look into buying a whole new kit of a 3.5" Rubicon super-flex lift (not add-a-leaf) for just the rear...anyone have any clue where i could find that?

CJ/YJ/TJ forums

Most companies and distributors will sell just the leaf packs. I kow Rubicon Express will. No need to buy the whole kit.

Back