jeep cherokee liminted no heat!!!

joerope

re

I just brought this jeep and I replaced the thermostat but the temp never get up to the one ninty ,, I have a flush kit apparatues on the thermo hous, line that if I take and open the cap, there does not appear to be eny pressure(in other words it dosn,t pump out eny anti frzz.)I was thinking mabey the water pump may be bad, but mostley it would run HOT if that were the case!I read here where things like replacing the temp sending sensors and burphing the systems(I don,t know how to do that!) may correct, this ..But... now is there another or someother suggestions that may help me solve this problem? as I am in chicago and the temp is 5 degrees outsidr Brrrrrr! thank you

Is your coolant levels up to the top and does your system require a bleeding of the system? tug

Hi,

It sounds like an air pocket or not enough coolant in the system.

If there is any doubt about the system not being full, remove the uper radiator hose and pour the coolant right into the radiator... this works much better than filling through the coolant reservoir :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

First of all, you should always be running the heater when refilling the cooling system. This helps ensure that coolant is flowing through the heater core.

Also, I've heard that parking the Jeep on an incline will help bring air to the top of the system.

What usually has to be done is you:
1) fill up the system to like 3/4+ full,
2) add a little more coolant,
3) run the Jeep until it reaches norm. temperature (short amt. of time),
4) shut off the jeep & let it cool down,
5) repeat.

Eventually coolant should make its way throughout the system and air should end up at the top. You can try leaving the reservoir open and running the Jeep to try and let any stuck air out. Just don't do this when the coolant gets too hot though :mrgreen:

XJNick said:
First of all, you should always be running the heater when refilling the cooling system. This helps ensure that coolant is flowing through the heater core.

Also, I've heard that parking the Jeep on an incline will help bring air to the top of the system.

What usually has to be done is you:
1) fill up the system to like 3/4+ full,
2) add a little more coolant,
3) run the Jeep until it reaches norm. temperature (short amt. of time),
4) shut off the jeep & let it cool down,
5) repeat.

Eventually coolant should make its way throughout the system and air should end up at the top. You can try leaving the reservoir open and running the Jeep to try and let any stuck air out. Just don't do this when the coolant gets too hot though :mrgreen:

Nick my friend you are better than a Jeep manual I may never read mine again :D

would you belive? I went outsidethis morning(Brrrrr) and went to all the motions suggested,(achoooo)took hoses aloose and tried to fill radiator, squezzed hoses til my finger,s cramped(sniffle)and after all that and no HEAT! (ACHOOOOOOoooo) big snezz, I wewnt to the auto store and was talking to one of the clerk,s and he asked me had I changed the thrmostst? I liiked at him and thought (you are dummer than you look)then Said of course!! then He said well you may have brought a defective one, and I said yeah RIGHT, but discression being the better part......... I said well let me get another......installed same, and temperture gauge went too 220 and then heat began to BLOW ...so whadu think about THAT............Rope

I also have to edit the above post I am gratefull for all the input!!! and I am glad that I had some things to check so Thanks again guys...........Joe Rope :lol:

tmsloan said:
Nick my friend you are better than a Jeep manual I may never read mine again :D

Thanks. I have learned alot as I have and continue to fix my XJ (and now my TJ) from bumper to bumper. Wait a minute.... now I can't decide if that sounds like a good thing or a bad thing. Ok I'll say good thing. :p :mrgreen:

joerope said:
I said well let me get another......installed same, and temperture gauge went too 220 and then heat began to BLOW ...so whadu think about THAT............Rope

I think that sounds like a DOH! Anyways, glad you got it fixed... it seems as though "new" parts these days doesn't always mean "working" parts :roll: :mrgreen:

oh and one more question

XJNick said:
joerope said:
I said well let me get another......installed same, and temperture gauge went too 220 and then heat began to BLOW ...so whadu think about THAT............Rope

I think that sounds like a DOH! Anyways, glad you got it fixed... it seems as though "new" parts these days doesn't always mean "working" parts :roll: :mrgreen:

No $hit on that one!

Back