Increased power modifications

Mike1

Gearbox Cooling

Hi

I own a 98 Cherokee 4.0L automatic(4 speed lock up overdrive). What can be done to these motors to increase their highway cruising ability. Often on steep hills in overdrive the engine revolutions are to low to maintain speed and gearing down is a necessity, at around 120Km per hour?

If there is something that can be done where can the mods be purchased?

Regards

Michael Schroder (South Africa)

Let it breat! that is the answer for a low cost power fule consumtion up grade. K&N or other free flowing intake and open up the exaust to let the pressure out. Hollow out the cat or remove it all together. Get a non restrictive exaust such as a Flowmaster ect...

Run around the block then do it again with a resporator on and you will see what you engin is going thru.

Then again you could always make a stroker out of it. tug

You should regear the axles if you've installed larger tires, this will get you back in the proper rpm range on inclines.

Other than that, try a throttle body spacer, and as Tug said, a hi-flow intake and exhaust.

I Just Ordered My Lift Today!!!

K&N air filter and remove the air intake restrictor if you have one.. that helped on mine. (mine's a 95 Grand Cherokee)

Gearbox cooling continued

Hi Graewulf

Where would you find the air intake restrictor?

Thanks Mike

Mike1 said:
Hi Graewulf

Where would you find the air intake restrictor?

Thanks Mike

if you have one (not all newer ones do) take the top of the airbox off, detach it from the intake tube. look in he big round hole the tube was on, if the inside is noticeably smaller than the outside, you have the restrictor. it's a plastic cylinder that reduces the intake diameter by nearly an inch.. it pushes out from the inside, and is a tight fit, took me a while to work mine out. I had he same problem in OD after going up a tire size, it would constantly shift into 3rd then back into OD.. I had to tuen offf the OD on hills.. since I removed the restrictor, it hardly ever does that (the K&N filter is coming soon, as well as opening up the intake tube on the airbox)

Mike1 said:
at around 120Km per hour?

Regards

Michael Schroder (South Africa)

WOOAAHH....is that fast? haha, i'm an ignorant american if you couldnt tell, and i'm too lazy to go out to my jeep and look at the speedo.

Back