Humming differential

LauraBoston

So, a friends got a 99 GC Laredo, he got the rear end rebuilded, and when he got it back, he couldnt get it out of 2nd gear. So, he brought it back and got the transmission rebuilt.

NOW, the reaf diff hums wicked bad..any ideas?

I don't know what it is..but i'll get any other information needed!

Thanks!

Transmission should have nothing to do with the dif hum unless they have the drive line out of line. Have them check the diff fluid level first and work up from there. check the u joints and ect.. till they get back to the slip yoke. Any how good luck. tug

If he has an 8.25" crysler axle, they are prone to humming and noise when gear work is done.

He may need additional adjustments, it may not be up to spec. Otherwise, it may be a gear defect, but VERY unlikely.

If you do an internet search, you'll find it's a common problem with that axle. I have one, but I've been lucky... Knock on wood.

check this (only one of many threads on that forum): http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16353&highlight=8.25+whine

Make sure the rear carrier is properly backlashed and that the pinion yoke was indexed. Those 8.25's have crush sleaves right! Is this Andy's WJ?

Naw, it's a buddy down here in marshfield. it's just stock, and it's a grocery getter...he doesnt know the first thing about jeeps, and well, as you know neither do I, but i got to listen to it, and i looked at it..it was dark and after a few beers...sooo

It looked good!

Back